The bias in a standard measure of herding
We address the Lakonishok, Shleifer and Vishny (LSV) herding measure. Frey, Herbst and Walter (FHW) have shown by empirical simulations that LSV is biased. Using a theoretical model we provide a formal explanation of this bias, and show that a corrected herding measure depends on some unobservable parameters. This suggests that assessing herding intensity with this kind a more difficult task than considered up to now in the empirical literature.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lakonishok, Josef & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1992.
"The impact of institutional trading on stock prices,"
27692662, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1992. "The impact of institutional trading on stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 23-43, August.
- Hwang, Soosung & Salmon, Mark, 2004.
"Market Stress and Herding,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4340, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & Sunil Sharma, 2001. "Herd Behavior in Financial Markets," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(3), pages 1-1.
- Raphaëlle BELLANDO, 2010.
"Measuring herding intensity: a hard task,"
LEO Working Papers / DR LEO
1202, Orleans Economics Laboratory / Laboratoire d'Economie d'Orleans (LEO), University of Orleans.
- Eduardo R. Borensztein & R. Gaston Gelos, 2001.
"A Panic-Prone Pack? The Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
564, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eduardo Borensztein & R. Gaston Gelos, 2003. "A Panic-Prone Pack? The Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(1), pages 1-3.
- R. G Gelos & Eduardo Borensztein, 2000. "A Panic-Prone Pack? the Behavior of Emerging Market Mutual Funds," IMF Working Papers 00/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirer, RIza & Kutan, Ali M., 2006. "Does herding behavior exist in Chinese stock markets?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 123-142, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.