Habit formation in household consumption: evidence from Japanese panel data
Habit formation in consumption has important implications for the effects of macroeconomic policies. Using micro data from the Japanese Panel Survey of Consumers (JPSC) for the period 1998-2004, an Euler equation à la Dynan (2000) allowing for time-nonseparablity in consumer preferences is estimated. In contrast to previous, macro data-based studies on consumption in Japan, the estimates yield no evidence of habit formation and appear consistent with durability in consumption.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 2001.
"Nominal rigidities and the dynamic effects of a shock to monetary policy,"
Working Paper Series
WP-01-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 2005. "Nominal Rigidities and the Dynamic Effects of a Shock to Monetary Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(1), pages 1-45, February.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 2001. "Nominal rigidities and the dynamic effects of a shock to monetary policy," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 2001. "Nominal rigidities and the dynamic effects of a shock to monetary policy," Working Paper 0107, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles Evans, 2001. "Nominal Rigidities and the Dynamic Effects of a Shock to Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 8403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karen E. Dynan, 2000. "Habit Formation in Consumer Preferences: Evidence from Panel Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 391-406, June.
- Pagano, Patrizio, 2004. "Habit persistence and the marginal propensity to consume in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 316-329, September.
- Raquel Carrasco & José M. Labeaga & J. David López-Salido, 2005.
"Consumption and Habits: Evidence from Panel Data,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 144-165, 01.
- López-Salido, J. David & Labeaga, José M. & Carrasco, Raquel, 2002. "Consumption and habits : evidence from panel data," UC3M Working papers. Economics we023415, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Carrasco, Raquel & Labeaga Azcona, J Maria & López-Salido, J David, 2002. "Consumption and Habits: Evidence from Panel Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3520, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Dolores Collado & Martín Browning, 2006.
"Habits And Heterogeneity In Demands: A Panel Data Analysis,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2006-25, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- M. Dolores Collado & Martin Browning, 2007. "Habits and heterogeneity in demands: a panel data analysis," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 625-640.
- Martin Browning & M. Dolores Collado, 2004. "Habits and Heterogeneity in Demands: a Panel Data Analysis," CAM Working Papers 2004-18, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Phillip A. Braun & George M. Constantinides & Wayne E. Ferson, 1992.
"Time Nonseparability in Aggregate Consumption: International Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
4104, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Braun, Phillip A. & Constantinides, George M. & Ferson, Wayne E., 1993. "Time nonseparability in aggregate consumption : International evidence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 897-920, June.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002.
"An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area,"
Working Paper Research
35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003. "An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1985. "The Permanent Income Hypothesis and Consumption Durability: Analysis Based on Japanese Panel Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(4), pages 1083-1113.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.