An econometric analysis of the output gap fluctuations: The case of Lebanon
This paper shows the reasons for output gap fluctuations in Lebanon during the period 1970-2009 and causal relationships between macroeconomic variables. It indicates that the output gap fluctuations, that measures observed GDP fluctuations around its long-run trend, can be explained by macroeconomic variables and war periods. By means of econometric methods, this research proposes to estimate the elasticity of the output gap with regard to others macroeconomic variables such as household consumption, expenditure government, gross fixed capital formation, and rate of economic dependence. Furthermore, it shows the causality direction between macroeconomic variables and the output gap in the short-run and in the long-run. The output gap is explained by all the macroeconomic variables in the long-run. But in the short-run, the output gap is explained by the household consumption expenditure only. In the short-run, the household consumption expenditure entails a decrease of output gap whereas it increases it in the long-run. In addition, the war does increase the output gap fluctuations.
Volume (Year): 31 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Granger, Clive W. J., 2003. "Some aspects of causal relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 69-71, January.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Hoffmaister, Alexander W. & Roldos, Jorge E., 2001.
"The Sources of Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Developing Countries: Brazil and Korea,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 213-239, April.
- Jorge Roldos & Willy W. Hoffmaister, 1996. "The Sources of Macroeconomic Fluctuations in Developing Countries; Brazil and Korea," IMF Working Papers 96/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Laurent Ferrara, 2009. "Caractérisation et datation des cycles économiques en zone euro," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 60(3), pages 703-712. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00173. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.