Incidence of an outsourcing tax on intermediate inputs
The paper uses a Hecksher-Ohlin-Samuelson type general equilibrium framework to consider the incidence of an outsourcing tax on an economy in which the production of a specific intermediate input has been fragmented and outsourced. If the outsourced sector provides a non-traded input, the outsourcing tax can have adverse impact on labor even if it is the most capital-intensive sector of the economy. Thus contrary to expectations, a tax on a capital-intensive sector actually hurts labor. In the case where the intermediate input is traded, the outsourcing tax closes down either the intermediate input producing sector, or the final good producing sector which uses the intermediate input.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arndt, Sven W., 1997. "Globalization and the open economy," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 71-79.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1996. "Wage Inequality from International Competition and Technological Change: Theory and Country Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 309-14, May.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2009.
"How remote is the offshoring threat?,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/10143, Sciences Po.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2007. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6542, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2007. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat?," Working Papers 2007-18, CEPII research center.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "How Remote is the Offshoring Threat ?," Working Papers hal-01066173, HAL.
- Gene M. Grossman & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2008.
"Trading Tasks: A Simple Theory of Offshoring,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1978-97, December.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J, 2005.
"A Multi-Country Approach to Factor-Proportions Trade and Trade Costs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4872, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 2005. "A Multi-Country Approach to Factor-Proportions Trade and Trade Costs," NBER Working Papers 11051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jim Markusen & Anthony Venables, 2005. "A Multi-Country Approach to Factor Proporations Trade and Trade Costs," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp051, IIIS.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-09-00802. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.