What's the potential impact of casino tax increases on wagering handle: estimates of the price elasticity of demand for casino gaming
This study estimates the price elasticity of demand for casino gaming. A demand model is estimated with data from a panel of 50 casinos operating in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Missouri between 1991 and 2005. The model isolates the impact of changes in the casino win percentage or price on the wagering handle, controlling for the impact of other operating, economic, and regulatory determinants of the wagering handle. The model estimates suggest that the wagering handle in the short run is inelastic to price changes, and that in the long run the wagering handle is unit elastic if not somewhat inelastic.
Volume (Year): 8 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suits, Daniel B, 1979. "The Elasticity of Demand for Gambling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 155-62, February.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gruen, Arthur, 1976. "An Inquiry into the Economics of Race-Track Gambling," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(1), pages 169-77, February.
- Mark W. Nichols, 1998. "The Impact of Deregulation on Casino Win in Atlantic City," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(6), pages 713-726, December.
- Richard Thalheimer & Mukhtar Ali, 2003. "The demand for casino gaming," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 907-918.
- Lany DeBoer, 1986. "Lottery taxes may be too high," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(3), pages 594-596.
- Philip J. Cook & Charles T. Clotfelter, 1991.
"The Peculiar Scale Economies of Lotto,"
NBER Working Papers
3766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gulley, O. David & Scott, Frank A. Jr., 1993. "The Demand for Wagering on State-Operated Lotto Games," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 46(1), pages 13-22, March.
- Richard Thalheimer & Mukhtar M. Ali, 1995. "The Demand for Parimutuel Horse Race Wagering and Attendance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(1), pages 129-143, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-08h00007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.