Intellectual Property Rights And Foreign Direct Investment: Analysis Of 14 South And South East Asian Countries, 1970-2005
The main focus of this paper is to examine the impact of intellectual property rights (IPRs) and economic freedom of the world (EFW) on inward foreign direct investment (FDI) in a panel of fourteen developing South Asian and Southeast Asian countries over the period 1970-2005. We find that besides other variables IPR exerts positive and significant impact on FDI while EFW produces negative impact on FDI. This implies that property rights protection, good quality institutions and more economic freedom encourages foreign investors to invest more in production sectors and focus less on distributional networks.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pervez Zamurrad Janjua & Ghulam Samad, 2007. "Intellectual Property Rights and Economic Growth: The Case of Middle Income Developing Countries," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 711-722.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko & Mario Zejan, 1992. "Host Country Competition and Technology Transfer by Multinationals," NBER Working Papers 4131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Durham, J.B.J. Benson, 2004. "Absorptive capacity and the effects of foreign direct investment and equity foreign portfolio investment on economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, April.
- Satomi Kimino & David S. Saal & Nigel Driffield, 2007. "Macro Determinants of FDI Inflows to Japan: An Analysis of Source Country Characteristics," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 446-469, March.
- Karin Olofsdotter, 1998. "Foreign direct investment, country capabilities and economic growth," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 134(3), pages 534-547, September.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Busse, Matthias & Groizard Cardosa, José Luis, 2006.
"FDI, Regulations and Growth,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006
6, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Busse, Matthias & Groizard Cardosa, José Luis, 2006. "FDI, Regulations and Growth," HWWA Discussion Papers 342, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Selowsky, Marcelo & Martin, Ricardo, 1997. "Policy Performance and Output Growth in the Transition Economies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 349-353, May.
- Oxley, Joanne E., 1999. "Institutional environment and the mechanisms of governance: the impact of intellectual property protection on the structure of inter-firm alliances," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 283-309, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:10:y:2010:i:1_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.