Intellectual Property Rights And Foreign Direct Investment: Analysis Of 14 South And South East Asian Countries, 1970-2005
The main focus of this paper is to examine the impact of intellectual property rights (IPRs) and economic freedom of the world (EFW) on inward foreign direct investment (FDI) in a panel of fourteen developing South Asian and Southeast Asian countries over the period 1970-2005. We find that besides other variables IPR exerts positive and significant impact on FDI while EFW produces negative impact on FDI. This implies that property rights protection, good quality institutions and more economic freedom encourages foreign investors to invest more in production sectors and focus less on distributional networks.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pervez Zamurrad Janjua & Ghulam Samad, 2007. "Intellectual Property Rights and Economic Growth: The Case of Middle Income Developing Countries," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 711-722.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko & Mario Zejan, 1992. "Host Country Competition and Technology Transfer by Multinationals," NBER Working Papers 4131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Selowsky, Marcelo & Martin, Ricardo, 1997. "Policy Performance and Output Growth in the Transition Economies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 349-53, May.
- Kao, Chihwa, 1999. "Spurious regression and residual-based tests for cointegration in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 1-44, May.
- Karin Olofsdotter, 1998. "Foreign direct investment, country capabilities and economic growth," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 134(3), pages 534-547, September.
- Busse, Matthias & Groizard Cardosa, José Luis, 2006.
"FDI, Regulations and Growth,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006
6, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Oxley, Joanne E., 1999. "Institutional environment and the mechanisms of governance: the impact of intellectual property protection on the structure of inter-firm alliances," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 283-309, March.
- Satomi Kimino & David S. Saal & Nigel Driffield, 2007. "Macro Determinants of FDI Inflows to Japan: An Analysis of Source Country Characteristics," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 446-469, 03.
- Durham, J.B.J. Benson, 2004. "Absorptive capacity and the effects of foreign direct investment and equity foreign portfolio investment on economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:aeinde:v:10:y:2010:i:1_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.