Institutions and development: generalizations that endanger progress
This article draws on several of the major breakthroughs in the institutions and development field to demonstrate that criticisms of work in this field as a whole based on its allegedly universal and unquestioning support for liberalizing institutions and the simplistic rationale and deficient empirical methods that have been used to buttress that support are outdated, inappropriate and misleading.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 04 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cambridge University Press, UPH, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 8BS UK|
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_JOI
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brent B Allred & Walter G Park, 2007. "Patent rights and innovative activity: evidence from national and firm-level data," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(6), pages 878-900, November.
- Oded Galor & Omar Moav & Dietrich Vollrath, 2006.
"Inequality in Land Ownership, the Emergence of Human Capital Promoting Institutions, and the Great Divergence,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_001, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav & Dietrich Vollrath, 2009. "Inequality in Landownership, the Emergence of Human-Capital Promoting Institutions, and the Great Divergence," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 76(1), pages 143-179.
- Galor, Oded & Moav, Omer & Vollrath, Dietrich, 2008. "Inequality in Land Ownership, the Emergence of Human Capital Promoting Institutions and the Great Divergence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6751, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Erica Field, 2007. "Entitled to Work: Urban Property Rights and Labor Supply in Peru," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 122(4), pages 1561-1602.
- Nugent, Jeffrey B & Sanchez, Nicolas, 1993. "Tribes, Chiefs, and Transhumance: A Comparative Institutional Analysis," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 87-113, October.
- Nabli, Mustapha K. & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 1989. "The New Institutional Economics and its applicability to development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(9), pages 1333-1347, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:jinsec:v:7:y:2011:i:04:p:561-565_00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.