The U.S. Banking System From a Northern Exposure: Stability versus Efficiency
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- White, Eugene Nelson, 1984. "A Reinterpretation of the Banking Crisis of 1930," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(01), pages 119-138, March.
- Charles W. Calomiris, 1989. "Deposit insurance: lessons from the record," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May, pages 10-30.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1991. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: a note (reprinted from Journal of Banking and Finance)," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 34-39.
- Wheelock, David C & Kumbhakar, Subal C, 1995. "Which Banks Choose Deposit Insurance? Evidence of Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard in a Voluntary Insurance System," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 186-201, February.
- Wheelock, David C, 1992. "Deposit Insurance and Bank Failures: New Evidence from the 1920s," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(3), pages 530-543, July.
- Kareken, John H & Wallace, Neil, 1978. "Deposit Insurance and Bank Regulation: A Partial-Equilibrium Exposition," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 413-438, July.
- Thornton Cooke, 1909. "The Insurance of Bank Deposits in the West," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 85-88.
- White, Eugene Nelson, 1985. "The Merger Movement in Banking, 1919–1933," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(02), pages 285-291, June.
- Alston Lee J. & Grove Wayne A. & Wheelock David C., 1994. "Why Do Banks Fail? Evidence from the 1920s," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 409-431, October.
- Alston, Lee J., 1983. "Farm Foreclosures in the United States During the Interwar Period," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(04), pages 885-903, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gorton, Gary & Huang, Lixin, 2006.
"Bank panics and the endogeneity of central banking,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1613-1629, October.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002. "Bank Panics and the Endogeneity of Central Banking," NBER Working Papers 9102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002. "Bank Panics and the Endogeneity of Central Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Eickmeier, Sandra & Ng, Tim, 2011.
"How do credit supply shocks propagate internationally? A GVAR approach,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2011,27, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Eickmeier, Sandra & Ng, Tim, 2011. "How Do Credit Supply Shocks Propagate Internationally? A GVAR approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 8720, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Landon-Lane & Hugh Rockoff & Richard H. Steckel, 2011.
"Droughts, Floods and Financial Distress in the United States,"
NBER Chapters,in: The Economics of Climate Change: Adaptations Past and Present, pages 73-98
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Landon-Lane & Hugh Rockoff & Richard H. Steckel, 2009. "Droughts, Floods and Financial Distress in the United States," NBER Working Papers 15596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Richard S., 2007. "Fear and greed: The evolution of double liability in American banking, 1865-1930," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 59-80, January.
- Amable, Bruno & Chatelain, Jean-Bernard & De Bandt, Olivier, 2002.
"Optimal capacity in the banking sector and economic growth,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2-3), pages 491-517, March.
- Amable, B. & Chatelain, J.-B. & De Bandt, O., 2001. "Optimal Capacity in the Banking Sector and Economic Growth," Working papers 85, Banque de France.
- Bruno Amable & Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Olivier De Bandt, 2002. "Optimal capacity in the banking sector and economic growth," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00112535, HAL.
- Stephen Haber, 2008. "Differential Paths of Financial Development: Evidence from New World Economies," NBER Chapters,in: Understanding Long-Run Economic Growth: Geography, Institutions, and the Knowledge Economy, pages 89-120 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Amable & Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Olivier De Bandt, 1997.
"Confiance dans le système bancaire et croissance économique,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 48(3), pages 397-407.
- Bruno Amable & Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Olivier De Bandt, 1997. "Confiance dans le système bancaire et croissance économique," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00118635, HAL.
- Michael D. Bordo, 2011. "A Historical Perspective on the Crisis of 2007–08," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,in: Rodrigo Alfaro (ed.), Financial Stability, Monetary Policy, and Central Banking, edition 1, volume 15, chapter 2, pages 011-027 Central Bank of Chile.
- Michael D. Bordo & Angela Redish, 2003. "Is Deflation depressing? Evidence from the Classical Gold Standard," NBER Working Papers 9520, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael D. Bordo & Angela Redish & Hugh Rockoff, 2011. "Why didn't Canada have a banking crisis in 2008 (or in 1930, or 1907, or ...)?," NBER Working Papers 17312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yosha, Oved, 1997. "Diversification and Competition: Financial Intermediation in a Large Cournot-Walras Economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 64-88, July.
- Howard Bodenhorn, 2010. "Federal and State Commercial Banking Policy in the Federalist Era and Beyond," NBER Chapters,in: Founding Choices: American Economic Policy in the 1790s, pages 151-176 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:jechis:v:54:y:1994:i:02:p:325-341_01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters). General contact details of provider: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_JEH .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.