On Collusion and Industry Size
In this paper we investigate the connection between the number of competitors and the sustainability of collusion within the context of a infinitely repeated symmetric Cournot model where only a subset of firms cooperate. We show that, in our model, an increase in the number of cartel firms may increase collusion likelihood by diminishing the negative effects for collusion of the existence of a competitive fringe. Also, we show that an increase in the number of fringe firrms makes collusion harder to sustain.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Bentley MacLeod, 1987.
"Entry, Sunk Costs, and Market Structure,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 140-51, February.
- d'ASPREMONT, Claude & JACQUEMIN, Alexis & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & WEYMARK, John A., .
"On the stability of collusive price leadership,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-522, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rothschild, R., 1999. "Cartel stability when costs are heterogeneous," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 717-734, July.
- Abreu, Dilip, 1986. "Extremal equilibria of oligopolistic supergames," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 191-225, June.
- Friedman, James W, 1971. "A Non-cooperative Equilibrium for Supergames," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(113), pages 1-12, January.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1990.
"Stable cartels with a Cournot fringe,"
90-24, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Oligopoly Pricing: Old Ideas and New Tools," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026272040x, June.
- Harrington, Joseph Jr., 1991. "The joint profit maximum as a free-entry equilibrium outcome," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1087-1101, July.
- Marc Escrihuela-Villar, 2009.
"A note on cartel stability and endogenous sequencing with tacit collusion,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 96(2), pages 137-147, March.
- Marc Escrihuela Villar, 2008. "A note on cartel stability and endogenous sequencing with tacit collusion," DEA Working Papers 29, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Abreu, Dilip, 1988. "On the Theory of Infinitely Repeated Games with Discounting," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 383-96, March.
- Brock, William A & Scheinkman, Jose A, 1985. "Price Setting Supergames with Capacity Constraints," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 371-82, July.
- Osborne, Dale K, 1976. "Cartel Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 835-44, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2011:v:12:i:1:p:31-40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.