A Policy Analysis of the BC Salmon Fishery
Between 1996 and 2001 the Government of Canada implemented a multi-million dollar program to restructure and revitalize the British Columbia wild salmon fishery in order to avoid an economic and ecological collapse. This paper provides a brief history of BC salmon fishery policy with emphasis on the restructuring of the 1990s, documents the current state of the fishery, and provides an analysis of four policy options: the current, restructured fishery; a licence auction and landings tax regime; the allocation of river-specific, exclusive ownership and harvesting rights (with cooperative ownership on the Fraser River); and the implementation of individual transferable harvesting quotas (ITQs). Each policy is evaluated in terms of three major goals: economic efficiency, resource preservation, and equity. The analysis indicates that river-specific, exclusive ownership rights together with cooperative ownership on the Fraser are most likely to achieve the best mix of these goals.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grafton, R Quentin & Squires, Dale & Fox, Kevin J, 2000.
"Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 679-713, October.
- Grafton, R.Q. & Squires, D. & Fox, K.J., 1998. "Private Property and Economic Efficiency: A Study of a Common-Pool Resource," Working Papers 9804e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Kathleen A. Miller, 1996. "Salmon Stock Variability And The Political Economy Of The Pacific Salmon Treaty," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(3), pages 112-129, 07.
- A. Bruce Arai, 1994. "Policy and Practice in the Atlantic Fisheries: Problems of Regulatory Enforcement," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 20(4), pages 353-364, December.
- Agnello, Richard J & Donnelley, Lawrence P, 1975. "Property Rights and Efficiency in the Oyster Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(2), pages 521-533, October.
- Dupont, Diane P., 1990. "Rent dissipation in restricted access fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 26-44, July.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1996. "Analyzing the Airwaves Auction," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 159-175, Winter.
- David Feeny & Susan Hanna & Arthur F. McEvoy, 1996. "Questioning the Assumptions of the "Tragedy of the Commons" Model of Fisheries," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(2), pages 187-205.
- Erling Moxnes, 1998. "Not Only the Tragedy of the Commons: Misperceptions of Bioeconomics," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(9), pages 1234-1248, September.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Daniel E. Lane, 1998. "Canadian Fisheries Policy: Challenges and Choices," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(2), pages 133-147, June.
- Grafton, R-Q & Lane, D-E, 1997. "Canadian Fisheries Policy : Challenges and Choices," Working Papers 9703e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Johnson, Ronald N & Libecap, Gary D, 1982. "Contracting Problems and Regulation: The Case of the Fishery," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(5), pages 1005-1022, December.
- Wallace E. Oates & Paul R. Portney, 1992. "Economic Incentives and the Containment of Global Warming," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 18(1), pages 85-98, Winter.
- Elinor Ostrom & Roy Gardner, 1993. "Coping with Asymmetries in the Commons: Self-Governing Irrigation Systems Can Work," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 93-112, Fall. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:29:y:2003:i:1:p:73-93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.