Canadian Fisheries Policy : Challenges and Choices
Canada faces grave challenges in its ocean fisheries. The problems include the collapse of Atlantic groundfish stocks in the early 1990s, international disputes over shared and straddling fisheries, conflicts among competing fishers, and low incomes and overcapitalization in many important fisheries. We assess the present state of Canada's ocean fisheries, evaluate past and current management to address the problems, and propose policies to help Canada realize the full potential from its marine resources.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 450, Station A, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5|
Phone: (613) 562-5753
Fax: (613) 562-5999
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.uottawa.ca/eco/eng/index.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lane, Daniel E., 1989. "Operational research and fisheries management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 229-242, October.
- Pearse, Peter H. & Walters, Carl J., 1992. "Harvesting regulation under quota management systems for ocean fisheries : Decision making in the face of natural variability, weak information, risks and conflicting incentives," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 167-182, May.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Dale Squires & James E. Kirkley, 1996. "Private Property Rights And Crises In World Fisheries: Turning The Tide?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(4), pages 90-99, October.
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
- Dupont, Diane P., 1990. "Rent dissipation in restricted access fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 26-44, July.
- Dupont, D.P., 1994. "Limited Entry Fishing Programs: Theory and Canadian Practice," Working Papers 1994-7, Brock University, Department of Economics.
- Paul C. Missios & Charles Plourde, 1996. "The Canada-European Union Turbot War: A Brief Game Theoretic Analysis," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 22(2), pages 144-150, June.
- Barston, Ronald, 1995. "United Nations Conference on straddling and highly migratory fish stocks," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 159-166, March.
- Grafton, R.Q. & squires, D. & Kirkley, J., 1995. "Turning the Tide? Private Property Rights and the Crisis of Fisheries Management," Working Papers 9505e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.