The Lifetime Capital Gains Exemption: Corporate Financing, Risk-taking and Allocation Efficiency
The impact of LCGE on financing of Canadian corporations and investment and risk-taking behaviour of individual Canadians is examined. The post-LCGE period shows a significantly higher reliance on external equity by large corporations, an increase in the number of taxpayers reporting dividend and foreign income. Also clear is the marked increase in 'unlocking' of capital gains. These trends seem to be specific to Canada; no such trends are found for U.S. corporations or taxpayers. The direction and the magnitude of these trends are consistent with the intent of the LCGE. The question of causality may still be open for debate.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (1995)
Issue (Month): s1 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George R. Zodrow, 1995. "Economic Issues in the Taxation of Capital Gains," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 21(s1), pages 27-57, November.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1988. "Capital Gains Taxation in the United States: Realizations, Revenue, and Rhetoric," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(2), pages 595-638.
- Vijay M. Jog & Huntley Schaller, 1995. "Retirement Income and the Lifetime Capital Gains Exemption: The Case of Qualified Farm Property and Small Business Corporation Shares," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 21(s1), pages 136-158, November.
- McClure, J. Jr., 1992. "Does reducing the capital gains tax rate raise or lower investment?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 207-210, October.
- Poterba, James M., 1989. "Capital Gains Tax Policy Toward Entrepreneurship," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 42(3), pages 375-389, September.
- Michael Haliassos & Andrew B. Lyon, 1993. "Progressivity of Capital Gains Taxation with Optimal Portfolio Selection," NBER Working Papers 4253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jack M. Mintz & Thomas A. Wilson, 1995. "Realization and Revenue Effects of Lifetime Capital Gains Exemptions," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 21(s1), pages 174-192, November.
- Henderson, Yolanda K., 1990. "Capital Gains Tax Rates and Stock Market Volume," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(4), pages 411-25, December.
- J. E. Stiglitz, 1969.
"The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk-Taking,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 83(2), pages 263-283.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1968. "The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk Taking," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Poterba, James M., 1989. "Capital Gains Tax Policy Toward Entrepreneurship," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 42(3), pages 375-89, September.
- Henderson, Yolanda K., 1990. "Capital Gains Tax Rates and Stock Market Volume," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(4), pages 411-425, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:21:y:1995:i:s1:p:116-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.