Realization and Revenue Effects of Lifetime Capital Gains Exemptions
This paper derives estimates of the revenue costs of lifetime capital gains exemptions. Since the exemptions provided a significant stimulus to realizations of capital gains for both shares and real estate, previously published 'tax expenditure' estimates overstate the revenue cost of these exemptions The authors provide alternative estimates of the net present value of the revenue costs of the exemptions which take into account their stimulative impact on realizations.
Volume (Year): 21 (1995)
Issue (Month): s1 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Constantinides, George M, 1983. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Personal Tax," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 611-636, May.
- Glenn P. Jenkins, 1981. "The Public-Sector Discount Rate for Canada: Some Further Observations," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 7(3), pages 399-407, Summer.
- Poterba, James M., 1987. "How burdensome are capital gains taxes?: Evidence from the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 157-172, July.
- Marchand, M. & Mintz, J. & Pestieau, P., 1984.
"Shadow pricing of labour and capital in an economy with unemployed labour,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 239-252, July.
- Marchand, M. & Mintz, J. & Pestieau, P., "undated". "Shadow pricing of labour and capital in an economy with unemployed labour," CORE Discussion Papers RP 628, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1983. "Some aspects of the taxation of capital gains," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 257-294, July.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1983. "Some Aspects of the Taxation of Capital Gains," NBER Working Papers 1094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David F. Burgess, 1981. "The Social Discount Rate for Canada: Theory and Evidence," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 7(3), pages 383-394, Summer. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:21:y:1995:i:s1:p:174-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.