Capital gains tax and individual trading: The case of Japan
Japan implemented a capital gains tax reform and reduced its flat rate in 2003. This study attempts to explain how this has contributed to the recent surge of individual trading, using three different methods of analysis. First, we perform a time-series analysis with the aggregate, market-level data. Second, we use firm-level, by-stock data to conduct a similar time-series analysis, as well as a panel data analysis. Third, we examine the price-change sensitivity of winners' volume before and after the reform. The results clearly indicate that the tax cut has helped expand individual trading, as the average tax rate negatively correlates significantly with individual trading.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, June.
- Zoran Ivkovich & James Poterba & Scott Weisbenner, 2004.
"Tax-Motivated Trading by Individual Investors,"
NBER Working Papers
10275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dyl, Edward A, 1977. "Capital Gains Taxation and Year-End Stock Market Behavior," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(1), pages 165-75, March.
- Martin Feldstein & Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1980.
"The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 94(4), pages 777-791.
- Martin Feldstein & Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1981. "The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains," NBER Working Papers 0250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M, 1986. " A Theory of Trading Volume," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1069-87, December.
- Noronha, Gregory & Ferris, Stephen P., 1992. "Capital gains tax policy and the behavior of common stock returns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 113-117, September.
- Bremer, Marc & Kato, Kiyoshi, 1996. "Trading Volume for Winners and Losers on the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 127-142, March.
- Henderson, Yolanda K., 1990. "Capital Gains Tax Rates and Stock Market Volume," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(4), pages 411-25, December.
- Epps, Thomas W, 1975. "Security Price Changes and Transaction Volumes: Theory and Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 586-97, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:japwor:v:22:y:2010:i:4:p:243-253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.