A Disaggregate Look at Deteriorating Productivity in Chile: Has There Been Structural Change?
The recent evolution of productivity has been a puzzle for economists. After a period marked by historic growth (1987-1997), aggregate productivity stagnated (1998-2012). The analysis in this paper focuses on productivity in nine major sectors of the economy to establish tentative hypotheses to try to explain the recent behavior of productivity at the aggregate level. The evidence suggests that it is necessary to deepen the analysis of the labor market and the cost of energy as potential barriers to productivity growth.
Volume (Year): 17 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2009. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 124(4), pages 1403-1448.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Moses Abramovitz, 1956. "Resource and Output Trends in the United States Since 1870," NBER Chapters, in: Resource and Output Trends in the United States Since 1870, pages 1-23 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter Klenow, 2009.
"Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India,"
09-04, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Chang, Tai Hsieh & Peter, J- Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and manufacturing TFP in China and India," MPRA Paper 35084, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Jun 2007.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J Klenow, 2008. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," 2008 Meeting Papers 121, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," Discussion Papers 07-006, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Peter J. Klenow, 2007. "Misallocation and Manufacturing TFP in China and India," NBER Working Papers 13290, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harald Beyer B. & Rodrigo Vergara M., 2002.
"Productivity and Economic Growth: the Case of Chile,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
174, Central Bank of Chile.
- Harald Beyer & Rodrigo Vergara, 2002. "Productivity and Economic Growth: The Case of Chile," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Norman Loayza & Raimundo Soto & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Editor) (ed.), Economic Growth: Sources, Trends, and Cycles, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 10, pages 309-342 Central Bank of Chile.
- S.K. Bhutani, 2009. "China and India," India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, , vol. 65(4), pages 383-391, October.
- Moses Abramovitz, 1956. "Resource and Output Trends in the United States Since 1870," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number abra56-1.
- Stephen L. Parente & Edward C. Prescott, 2002. "Barriers to Riches," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262661306, December.
- Rómulo Chumacero Escudero, 2000.
"Se busca una raíz unitaria: evidencia para Chile,"
Estudios de Economia,
University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 27(1 Year 20), pages 55-68, June.
- Juan Eduardo Coeymans, 1999. "Determinantes de la Productividad en Chile: 1961-1997," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 36(107), pages 597-637.
- Chumacero, Romulo A. & Fuentes, J. Rodrigo, 2006. "Chilean growth dynamics," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 197-214, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchec:v:17:y:2014:i:1:p:04-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.