Building Affordable Rental Housing in Unaffordable Cities: A Canadian Low-Income Housing Tax Credit
Many Canadian cities are short of affordable rental housing. Waiting lists for low-income housing are years in length, and new-build construction of rental housing has fallen over the last two decades. This study proposes a better way to build more low-income housing in expensive Canadian cities. A made-in-Canada Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) could leverage private sector expertise in site location, building, and management to build more and better low-income rental housing.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): 289 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 67 Yonge St., Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario M5E 1J8|
Phone: (416) 865-1904
Fax: (416) 865-1866
Web page: http://www.cdhowe.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eriksen, Michael D., 2009. "The market price of Low-Income Housing Tax Credits," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 141-149, September.
- Quigley, John M., 2007. "Just Suppose: Housing Subsidies for Low Income Renters," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt0n43z5d2, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Benjamin, John D & Chinloy, Peter & Sirmans, G Stacey, 2000. "Housing Vouchers, Tenant Quality, and Apartment Values," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 37-48, January.
- Joseph Gyourko, 2009. "Housing Supply," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 295-318, 05.
- Michael Parkin, 2009. "What is the Ideal Monetary Policy Regime? Improving the Bank of Canada's Inflation-targeting Program," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 279, January.
- Eriksen, Michael D. & Rosenthal, Stuart S., 2010. "Crowd out effects of place-based subsidized rental housing: New evidence from the LIHTC program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(11-12), pages 953-966, December.
- Alexandre Laurin & Colin Busby & Benjamin Dachis, 2009. "Out on a Limb: Assessing the Fiscal Sustainability and Effectiveness of the 2009 Federal Budget," e-briefs 72, C.D. Howe Institute.
- Stephen Malpezzi & Richard K. Green, 1996. "What Has Happened to the Bottom of the US Housing Market?," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 33(10), pages 1807-1820, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdh:commen:289. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.