Crossing the Line: Direct Estimation of Cross-Border Cigarette Sales and the Effect on Tax Revenue
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Gruber, Jonathan & Sen, Anindya & Stabile, Mark, 2003.
"Estimating price elasticities when there is smuggling: the sensitivity of smoking to price in Canada,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 821-842, September.
- Jonathan Gruber & Anindya Sen & Mark Stabile, 2002. "Estimating Price Elasticities When there is Smuggling: The Sensitivity of Smoking to Price in Canada," NBER Working Papers 8962, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coats, R. Morris, 1995. "A Note on Estimating Cross-Border Effects of State Cigarette Taxes," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 48(4), pages 573-84, December.
- Austan Goolsbee & Michael F. Lovenheim & Joel Slemrod, 2010.
"Playing with Fire: Cigarettes, Taxes, and Competition from the Internet,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 131-154, February.
- Austan Goolsbee & Joel Slemrod, 2007. "Playing with Fire: Cigarettes, Taxes and Competition from the Internet," Discussion Papers 07-002, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Austan Goolsbee & Michael Lovenheim & Joel B. Slemrod, 2009. "Playing With Fire: Cigarettes, Taxes and Competition From the Internet," NBER Working Papers 15612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thursby, Jerry G. & Thursby, Marie C., 2000. "Interstate Cigarette Bootlegging: Extent, Revenue Losses, and Effects of Federal Intervention," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 53(n. 1), pages 59-78, March.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald Kenkel & Alan Mathios & Yoon-Jeong Shin & Jae-Young Lim, 2008.
"Youth smoking, cigarette prices, and anti-smoking sentiment,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 733-749.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald S. Kenkel & Alan D. Mathios & Yoon-Jeong Shin & Jae-Young Lim, 2006. "Youth Smoking, Cigarette Prices, and Anti-Smoking Sentiment," NBER Working Papers 12458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Rajeev K. Goel, 1990. "Quasi-Experimental Price Elasticity of Liquor Demand in the United States: 1960–83," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(2), pages 451-454.
- Stehr, Mark, 2007. "The Effect of Sunday Sales Bans and Excise Taxes on Drinking and Cross–Border Shopping for Alcoholic Beverages," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 60(1), pages 85-105, March.
- Hai-Yen Sung & Teh-Wei Hu & Theodore E. Keeler, 1994. "Cigarette Taxation And Demand: An Empirical Model," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(3), pages 91-100, July.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1995. "A Dynamic Demand Model for Liquor: The Case for Pooling," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 545-554, August.
- Keeler, Theodore E. & Hu, Teh-wei & Barnett, Paul G. & Manning, Willard G. & Sung, Hai-Yen, 1996. "Do cigarette producers price-discriminate by state? An empirical analysis of local cigarette pricing and taxation," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 499-512, August.
- Lewit, Eugene M. & Coate, Douglas, 1982.
"The potential for using excise taxes to reduce smoking,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 121-145, August.
- Eugene M. Lewit & Douglas Coate, 1981. "The Potential for Using Excise Taxes to Reduce Smoking," NBER Working Papers 0764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bishop, James, 2015.
"Interacting effects of state cigarette taxes on smoking participation,"
66609, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James M. Bishop, 2015. "Interacting Effects of State Cigarette Taxes on Smoking Participation," Economics Working Paper Series 1601, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business.
- Kyle Rozema & Nicolas Ziebarth, 2015.
"Behavioral Responses to Taxation: Cigarette Taxes and Food Stamp Take-Up,"
150015, Canadian Centre for Health Economics.
- Rozema, Kyle & Ziebarth, Nicolas R., 2015. "Behavioral Responses to Taxation: Cigarette Taxes and Food Stamp Take-Up," IZA Discussion Papers 8907, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chiou, Lesley & Muehlegger, Eric, 2010. "Consumer Response to Cigarette Excise Tax Changes," Working Paper Series rwp10-020, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- repec:eee:irlaec:v:50:y:2017:i:c:p:15-24 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thomas Y. Mathä & Alessandro Porpiglia & Michael Ziegelmeyer, 2017.
"Cross-border commuting and consuming: an empirical investigation,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(20), pages 2011-2026, April.
- MathÃ¤, Thomas Y. & Porpiglia, Alessandro & Ziegelmeyer, Michael, 2014. "Cross-border commuting and consuming: An empirical investigation," MEA discussion paper series 201407, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Mathä, Thomas Y. & Ziegelmeyer, Michael & Porpiglia, Alessandro, 2014. "Cross-border commuting and consuming: an empirical investigation," Working Paper Series 1661, European Central Bank.
- Thomas Y. Mathä & Alessandro Porpiglia & Michael Ziegelmeyer, 2014. "Cross-border commuting and consuming: An empirical investigation," BCL working papers 89, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- DeCicca, Philip & Kenkel, Donald & Liu, Feng, 2013.
"Excise tax avoidance: The case of state cigarette taxes,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1130-1141.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald S. Kenkel & Feng Liu, 2010. "Excise Tax Avoidance: The Case of State Cigarette Taxes," NBER Working Papers 15941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:mea:meawpa:14284 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chandra, Ambarish & Head, Keith & Tappata, Mariano, 2012. "Consumer Arbitrage Across a Porous Border," CEPR Discussion Papers 8730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beatty, Timothy K.M. & Larsen, Erling Røed & Sommervoll, Dag Einar, 2009. "Driven to drink: Sin taxes near a border," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1175-1184, December.
- David-Jan Jansen & Nicole Jonker, 2016. "Fuel tourism in Dutch border regions: are only salient price differentials relevant?," DNB Working Papers 519, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Klein, Elizabeth G. & Hood, Nancy E., 2015. "The smoking ban next door: Do hospitality businesses in border areas have reduced sales after a statewide smoke-free policy?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 44-49.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:bejeap:v:8:y:2008:i:1:n:48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla). General contact details of provider: https://www.degruyter.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.