Study Regarding The Efficiency Of Public Spending On Education At Eu Level Through Benchmarking
The objective of this paper is to review the efficiency of public expenditure for education in Romania compared to other EU countries, and to the EU average. Thus we proceeded to a benchmarking analysis. In order to perform an analysis of public spending efficiency for education by benchmarking at the EU level, representative indicators must be chosen in order to quantify the volume of efforts and effects. The effort of education was represented by public expenditure on education as percentage of GDP, and the effects took the form of a composite indicator consisting of 19 sub-indicators. If the public sector effort was relatively easy to quantify, the effects involve a deeper analysis and determine the limitations of this study. The conclusion is that either the level of funding in Romania is oversized compared to its effects, or resources were not used properly in accordance with the principles of performance.It would be foolhardy to suggest increased funding for education, when the analysis carried out shows that the volume of financing is not the problem, but towards the use of funds.
Volume (Year): 5 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Faculty of Economic Sciences Dumbravii Avenue, No 17, postal code 550324, Sibiu, Romania|
Phone: 004 0269 210375
Fax: 004 0269 210375
Web page: http://economice.ulbsibiu.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2010.
"Income distribution determinants and public spending efficiency,"
The Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 8(3), pages 367-389, September.
- António Afonso & Ludger Schknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2008. "Income Distribution Determinants and Public Spending Efficiency," Working Papers Department of Economics 2008/05, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Afonso, António & Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito, 2008. "Income distribution determinants and public spending efficiency," Working Paper Series 861, European Central Bank.
- Emmanuel Jimenez & Harry Anthony Patrinos, 2009. "Can Cost–Benefit Analysis Guide Education Policy in Developing Countries?," Chapters,in: Handbook of Research on Cost–Benefit Analysis, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jimenez, Emmanuel & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 2008. "Can cost-benefit analysis guide education policy in developing countries ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4568, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:blg:journl:v:5:y:2010:i:3:p:201-214. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mihaela Herciu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.