An analysis of factors affecting the ethical conduct of microcredit officers
This study examines the ethical conduct of productive microcredit officers, a type of credit that offers small sums to low income customers. In this modality, the microcredit officer performs important work in granting or denying credit in poor communities, and may be exposed to situations of ethical decision-making, such as denying credit to acquaintances in the community where the agent lives. Based on the models of Ferrell, Fraedrich and Ferrell (2009) and Kohlberg (1969) the study examines which factors influence the ethical behavior of this public. The results show that the importance given by the agent to his/her job and the individual sensitivity that denying credit may have, influences his/her ethical behavior. It is recommended that these results be used in the hiring and training of these agents, which can improve ethical decision-making on microcredit.
Volume (Year): 8 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +55 27 4009-4423
Fax: +55 27 4009-4422
Web page: http://www.bbronline.com.br/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mersland, Roy & Øystein Strøm, R., 2009. "Performance and governance in microfinance institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 662-669, April.
- Marek Hudon, 2009.
"Should Access to Credit be a Right?,"
Journal of Business Ethics,
Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 17-28, January.
- Anusorn Singhapakdi & Mahesh Gopinath & Janet Marta & Larry Carter, 2008. "Antecedents and Consequences of Perceived Importance of Ethics in Marketing Situations: A Study of Thai Businesspeople," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(4), pages 887-904, September.
- Po-Keung Ip, 2008. "Corporate Social Responsibility and Crony Capitalism in Taiwan," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 167-177, April.
- David Weitzner & James Darroch, 2010. "The Limits of Strategic Rationality: Ethics, Enterprise Risk Management, and Governance," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(3), pages 361-372, March.
- Hsiang-Lin Chih & Chung-Hua Shen & Feng-Ching Kang, 2008. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Investor Protection, and Earnings Management: Some International Evidence," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 179-198, April.
- Roy Chowdhury, Prabal & Roy, Jaideep, 2007.
"Public-private Partnerships in Micro-finance: Should NGO Involvement be Restricted?,"
4469, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roy, Jaideep & Chowdhury, Prabal Roy, 2009. "Public-private partnerships in micro-finance: Should NGO involvement be restricted?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 200-208, November.
- Jaideep Roy & Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2008. "Public-private partnerships in microfinance: Should NGO involvement be restricted?," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-11, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Gilley, K. Matthew & Robertson, Christopher J. & Mazur, Tim C., 2010. "The bottom-line benefits of ethics code commitment," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 31-37, January.
- Linthicum, Cheryl & Reitenga, Austin L. & Sanchez, Juan Manuel, 2010. "Social responsibility and corporate reputation: The case of the Arthur Andersen Enron audit failure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 160-176, March.
- Catherine C Langlois & Bodo B Shlegemilch, 1990. "Do Corporate Codes of Ethics Reflect National Character? Evidence from Europe and the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(4), pages 519-539, December.
- Feldman, Maryann P. & Audretsch, David B., 1999.
"Innovation in cities:: Science-based diversity, specialization and localized competition,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 409-429, February.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1998. "Innovation in Cities: Science-Based Diversity, Specialization and Localized Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 1980, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yin-Hua Yeh & Tsun-Siou Lee & Pei-Gi Shu, 2008. "The Agency Problems Embedded in Firm’s Equity Investment," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(1), pages 151-166, April.
- Sen, Amartya, 1988. "Freedom of choice : Concept and content," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 269-294, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bbz:fcpbbr:v:8:y:2011:i:1:p:1-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Lasso)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.