The Modern Political Economy: Traditional Approaches and New Directions
This paper examines the revival of political economy in various forms in the last decades. The first part is dedicated to the evolution of the definition of the economic science to lay the foundation of a better understanding of the current use of the term “political economy”. The second part sets out a typology of the different theories and schools of political economy and relates them to certain characterization of the present day mainstream neoclassical economics. The last part of the paper focuses on one of the latest developments, the theory of public choice as a “new political economy”: methodology, analytical apparatus, major themes and findings.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+359 2) 810 40 18
Fax: (+359 2) 988 21 08
Web page: http://www.iki.bas.bg
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steuart, James, 1757. "An Inquiry into the Principles of Political Economy," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number steuart1757.
- Jevons, William Stanley, 1871. "The Theory of Political Economy," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number jevons1871.
- Rothschild, Kurt W., 1989. "Political economy or economics? : Some terminological and normative considerations," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-12.
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135.
- Mueller, Dennis C, 1976. "Public Choice: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 395-433, June.
- Gary J. Miller, 1997. "The Impact of Economics on Contemporary Political Science," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1173-1204, September.
- Smith, Adam, 1776. "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number smith1776.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bas:econth:y:2006:i:7:p:72-88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diana Dimitrova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.