Growth of the Agricultural Firm: Problems and Theories
This review of growth theories of the firm is directed towards those theories of interest for managerial direction of the growth process of agricultural firms. It starts with a discussion of growth, growth directions, the growth process and associated problems. From this an analytical procedure is built up. which states a set of desirable features that theories suitable to guide managers of agricultural firms should contain. In the light of these, the following theories of firm growth are discussed: the traditional neo-classical approach to firm size, extensions of this approach, the growth theories of Edith Penrose and Robin Marris, and the combination of investment and finance theory possible with various types of mathematical programming and cybernetic and behavioural theory models.
Volume (Year): 38 (1970)
Issue (Month): 02 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Throsby, C.D., 1962. "Some Notes on "Dynamic" Linear Programming," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 30(02), June.
- Armen A. Alchian, 1950. "Uncertainty, Evolution, and Economic Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 211.
- Stephen Hymer & Peter Pashigian, 1962. "Firm Size and Rate of Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 556.
- James H. Lorie & Leonard J. Savage, 1955. "Three Problems in Rationing Capital," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28, pages 229.
- Bailey, Warren R., 1967. "Necessary Conditions for Growth of the Farm Business Firm," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 1.
- J. Hirshleifer, 1958. "On the Theory of Optimal Investment Decision," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 329.
- Cowling, Keith G. & Baker, Chester B., 1963. "A Polyperiod Model for Estimating the Supply of Milk," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 1.
- Irwin, George D., 1968. "A Comparative Review of Some Firm Growth Models," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 3.
- Baker, Chester B., 1967. "Research Orientations And Their Implications For Agricultural Economists," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 11(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:remaae:9633. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.