Price, Trade and Welfare Effects of Agricultural Protection: The Case of East Asia
During the 1960's and 1970's, the extent of agricultural protection increased rapidly not only in Japan but also in South Korea and Taiwan. By the early 1980's food prices in East Asia averaged two or three times international levels, rivalling those in Western Europe. A multi-commodity stochastic simulation model measures the extent to which policies in East Asia have reduced the mean and increased the variance of international prices for grain and meat, reduced world trade in these products and affected economic welfare in East Asia and elsewhere. The effects of continued growth in East Asia's protection through the 1980's (leading to rice export surpluses) are then compared with the effects of partial liberalization.
Volume (Year): 53 (1985)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym & Tyers, Rodney, 1984. "European Community Grain and Meat Policies: Effects on International Prices, Trade and Welfare," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 11(4), pages 367-94.
- Anderson, Kym, 1983. "Economic Growth, Comparative Advantage and Agricultural Trade of Pacific Rim Countries," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(03), December.
- D. Gale Johnson, 1975. "World Agriculture, Commodity Policy, and Price Variability," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 57(5), pages 823-828.
- Josling, Timothy, 1980. "Developed-country agricultural policies and developing-country food supplies: the case of wheat," Research reports 14, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Anderson, Kym, 1983. "Growth of agricultural protection in East Asia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 327-336, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:remaae:12511. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.