Equity Considerations for Wetland Retention Programs: Using a Stochastic Frontier Approach to Investigate Policy Alternatives
This analysis presents a stylized depiction of a government program such as the wetland reserve, where a social planner determines which types of wetlands are brought into production and which are left idle. If the planner is concerned with the dispersion or variance of benefits across producers as well as the mean, his decision problem is algebraically equivalent to a mean-variance portfolio model for a risk-averse individual. The model also identifies an efficient frontier of policies under various â€œinequality toleranceâ€ levels. Based on available survey data, I apply this method to determine the effects of wetland dispersion on producersâ€™ income.
Volume (Year): 32 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://jrap-journal.org/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randall A. Kramer & Leonard Shabman, 1993. "The Effects of Agricultural and Tax Policy Reform on the Economic Return to Wetland Drainage in the Mississippi Delta Region," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 69(3), pages 249-262.
- Stavins, Robert N & Jaffe, Adam B, 1990. "Unintended Impacts of Public Investments on Private Decisions: The Depletion of Forested Wetlands," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 337-52, June.
- Edward B. Barbier, 1994. "Valuing Environmental Functions: Tropical Wetlands," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 155-173.
- Ralph J. Brown, 1976. "A Study of the Impact of the Wetlands Easement Program on Agricultural Land Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 52(4), pages 509-517.
- Leonard Shabman & Michael K. Bertelson, 1979. "The Use of Development Value Estimates for Coastal Wetland Permit Decisions," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 54(2), pages 213-222.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jrapmc:132235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.