Prospects For Contingent Valuation: Lessons From The South-East Forests
The Contingent Valuation Method (CVM) has been strongly criticised in Australia following two prominent applications. The aims in this paper are to review these criticisms and to demonstrate how, through an application of the method, these potential problems were addressed. The results of the application - a valuation of the conservation benefits of the National Estate forests of Southeastern Australia - are presented. A key feature of the application was the use of focus group testing in the questionnaire design phase. Finally, an assessment is made of the future prospects for the use of the CVM in Australia.
Volume (Year): 37 (1993)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Groves, Theodore & Ledyard, John O, 1977.
"Optimal Allocation of Public Goods: A Solution to the "Free Rider" Problem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 783-809, May.
- Theodore Groves & John Ledyard, 1976. "Optimal Allocation of Public Goods: A Solution to the 'Free Rider Problem'," Discussion Papers 144, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Blamey, Russell K. & Common, Mick S., 1993. "Stepping Back from Contingent Valuation," 1993 Conference (37th), February 9-11, 1993, Sydney, Australia 147487, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L., 1992. "Valuing public goods: The purchase of moral satisfaction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 57-70, January.
- Smith, V. Kerry, 1992. "Arbitrary values, good causes, and premature verdicts," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 71-89, January.
- Smith, Vernon L, 1980. "Experiments with a Decentralized Mechanism for Public Good Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 584-599, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)