Determinants of dividend payout policy: Evidence from Bangladesh
Dividend payout policy has potential roles to be considered as part of the firm’s strength to operate smoothly in the corporate world. Profitability along with other essential factors has significant impact on dividend decisions of a corporation. Thus, it becomes an important issue for firm’s to identify the factors determining dividend payout policy. Considering the existing literatures on dividend determinants, the paper attempts to construct an empirical model for selected commercial banks in Bangladesh and provide recommendations which will further develop the dividend payout policy for banks and other industry listed in Dhaka and Chittagong Stock Exchange (DSE & CSE). The empirical findings reveal that current earnings and liquidity has potential roles for firms to determine payout policy.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ijept.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron, 1974. "The effects of dividend yield and dividend policy on common stock prices and returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-22, May.
- Franklin Allen & Antonio Bernardo & Ivo Welch, .
"A Theory of Dividends Based on Tax Clienteles,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
15-98, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Pruitt, Stephen W & Gitman, Lawrence J, 1991. "The Interactions between the Investment, Financing, and Dividend Decisions of Major U.S. Firms," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 409-30, August.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 1999.
"The Equity Share in New Issues and Aggregate Stock Returns,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm124, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2009.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2000. "The Equity Share in New Issues and Aggregate Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2219-2257, October.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-51, September.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aes:ijeptp:v:2:y:2012:i:3:p:119-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catalin Boja)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.