Early warning indicators for the German banking system: A macroprudential analysis
AbstractOver the past two decades, Germany experienced several periods of banking system instability rather than full-blown banking system crises. In this paper we introduce a continuous and forward-looking stability indicator for the banking system based on information on all financial institutions in Germany between 1995 and 2010. Explaining this measure by means of panel regression techniques, we identify significant macroprudential early warning indicators (such as asset price indicators, leading indicators for the business cycle and monetary indicators) and spillover effects. Whereas international spillovers play a significant role across all banking sectors, regional spillovers and the credit-to-GDP ratio are more important for cooperative banks and less relevant for commercial banks. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre in its series Discussion Papers with number 27/2012.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Early Warning Indicators; Banking System Stability; Regional Spillover Effects; Panel Regression Techniques;
Other versions of this item:
- Thomas Kick & Nadya Jahn, 2014. "Early Warning Indicators for the German Banking System: A Macroprudential Analysis," Credit and Capital Markets, Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 47(1), pages 5â47.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-11-11 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2012-11-11 (Central Banking)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bekaert, Geert & Hoerova, Marie & Lo Duca, Marco, 2010.
"Risk, Uncertainty and Monetary Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8154, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hoerova, Marie & Lo Duca, Marco, 2013. "Risk, uncertainty and monetary policy," Working Paper Series 1565, European Central Bank.
- Geert Bekaert & Marie Hoerova & Marco Lo Duca, 2012. "Risk, uncertainty and monetary policy," Working Paper Research 229, National Bank of Belgium.
- Geert Bekaert & Marie Hoerova & Marco Lo Duca, 2010. "Risk, Uncertainty and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- De Graeve, F. & Kick, T. & Koetter, M., 2008. "Monetary policy and financial (in)stability: An integrated micro-macro approach," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 205-231, September.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005.
"Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey,"
National Institute Economic Review,
National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 192(1), pages 68-83, April.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey," IMF Working Papers 05/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2005. "Cross-country empirical studies of systemic bank distress : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3719, The World Bank.
- Koetter, Michael & Kick, Thomas, 2007.
"Slippery slopes of stress: ordered failure events in German banking,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2007,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Kick, Thomas & Koetter, Michael, 2007. "Slippery slopes of stress: Ordered failure events in German banking," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 132-148, July.
- Stefano Puddu, 2013. "Optimal Weights and Stress Banking Indexes," IRENE Working Papers 13-02, IRENE Institute of Economic Research.
- Miguel A. Segoviano & Charles Goodhart, 2009. "Banking stability measures," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24416, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Ho, Tai-kuang, 2004.
"Money market pressure and the determinants of baning crises,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 20-2004, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Jürgen Von Hagen & Tai-Kuang Ho, 2007. "Money Market Pressure and the Determinants of Banking Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(5), pages 1037-1066, 08.
- Ho, Tai-Kuang & von Hagen, Jürgen, 2004. "Money Market Pressure and the Determinants of Banking Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 4651, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miroslav Misina & Greg Tkacz, 2008. "Credit, Asset Prices, and Financial Stress in Canada," Working Papers 08-10, Bank of Canada.
- Behr, Andreas & Kamp, Andreas & Memmel, Christoph & Pfingsten, Andreas, 2007. "Diversification and the banks' risk-return-characteristics: evidence from loan portfolios of German banks," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2007,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Fichtner, Ferdinand & Rüffer, Rasmus & Schnatz, Bernd, 2009. "Leading indicators in a globalised world," Working Paper Series 1125, European Central Bank.
- Koetter, Michael & Poghosyan, Tigran, 2008. "Real estate markets and bank distress," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2008,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Illing, Mark & Liu, Ying, 2006. "Measuring financial stress in a developed country: An application to Canada," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 243-265, October.
- Kick, Thomas & Prieto, Esteban, 2013.
"Bank Risk Taking and Competition: Evidence from Regional Banking Markets,"
Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order
79919, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Kick, Thomas & Prieto, Esteban, 2013. "Bank risk taking and competition: Evidence from regional banking markets," Discussion Papers 30/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.