Short-Run Maquiladora Employment Dynamics
AbstractMaquiladora sector employment in Ciudad juarez, Mexico grew substantially between January 1981 and December 1998. An ARIMA transfer function model is estimated to examine the short-run empirical characetristics of this growth. Real wages, the number of factories in operation, U.S. industrial activity, and the real currency value of the peso are found to play roles in monthly variations in maquiladora payrolls.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Urban/Regional with number 0407007.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: 20 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - doc; pages: 12
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Maquiladora Labor Demand; Mexico; ARIMA Transfer Functions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & W Charles Sawyer & Richard L Sprinkle, 2004. "Latin American Trade Elasticities," International Trade 0407009, EconWPA.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr, 2004. "Specification of a Borderplex Econometric Forecasting Model," Urban/Regional 0405006, EconWPA.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr, 2004. "Cross Border Business Cycle (Impacts on Commercial Electricity Demand," Urban/Regional 0407010, EconWPA.
- Fullerton, Thomas M., Jr. & Tinajero, Roberto, 2005. "Borderplex Economic Outlook: 2005-2007," MPRA Paper 29999, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Nov 2005.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr, 2004. "Currency Movements and International Border Crossings," Urban/Regional 0407008, EconWPA.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & David A Schauer, 2004. "Regional Econometric Assessment of Aggregate Water Consumption Trends," Urban/Regional 0407006, EconWPA.
- Mollick, Andre Varella & Wvalle-Vazquez, Karina, 2006. "Chinese competition and its effects on Mexican maquiladoras," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 130-145, March.
- Thomas M. Fullerton, Jr. & Juan Carlos Vázquez Morales & Martha Patricia Barraza de Anda, 2011.
"Dinamica de corto plazo del empleo en las maquiladoras de Reynosa, Tamaulipas,"
Ensayos Revista de Economia,
Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Economia, vol. 0(1), pages 23-40, May.
- Fullerton, Thomas M., Jr. & Vazquez Morales, Juan Carlos & Barraza de Anda, Martha P., 2010.
"Dinámica de corto plazo del empleo en las maquiladoras de Reynosa, Tamaulipas
[Short-run dynamics of payrolls in the maquiladora sector of Reynosa, Tamaulipas (Mexico)]," MPRA Paper 34925, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 15 Feb 2011.
- Fullerton, Thomas M., Jr. & Vazquez Morales, Juan Carlos & Barraza de Anda, Martha P., 2010. "Dinámica de corto plazo del empleo en las maquiladoras de Reynosa, Tamaulipas
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Martha Patricia Barraza de Anda, 2004. "Maquiladora Prospects in a Global Economy," Development and Comp Systems 0408017, EconWPA.
- Sargent, John & Matthews, Linda, 2004. "What Happens When Relative Costs Increase in Export Processing Zones? Technology, Regional Production Networks, and Mexico's Maquiladoras," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2015-2030, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.