Latin American Trade Elasticities
AbstractA survey of trade elasticities published for Latin American economies is conducted. Articles surveyed were published between 1975 and 1997. They include data from the mid-1950s through the mid-1990s. Imports are found to be highly income elastic as well as very price inelastic. Relatively fewer export function estimates are reported for Latin America than for other regions of the world. The estimates published indicate that exports were more elastic than anticipated under fixed exchange rate regimes. Results further indicate that Latin American trade flows respond heterogeneously to variations in domestic prices, foreign prices, and exchange rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Trade with number 0407009.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 22 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - doc; pages: 22
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Latin America; Merchandise Trade; Elasticities;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carone, Giuseppe, 1996. "Modeling the U.S. demand for imports through cointegration and error correction," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Weisskoff, Richard, 1979. "Trade, Protection and Import Elasticities for Brazil," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(1), pages 58-66, February.
- Sawyer, W. Charles & Sprinkle, Richard L., 1997. "The Demand for Imports and Exports in Japan: A Survey," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 247-259, June.
- Stern, Robert M & Baum, Christopher F & Greene, Mark N, 1979. "Evidence on Structural Change in the Demand for Aggregate U.S. Imports and Exports," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(1), pages 179-92, February.
- Thomas M. Fullerton, Jr. & W. Charles Sowyer & Richard L. Sprinkle, 1997.
"Functional form for United States-México trade equations,"
El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 12(1), pages 23-35.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & W Charles Sawyer & Richard L Sprinkle, 2004. "Functional Form for United States - Mexico Trade Equations," International Trade 0408001, EconWPA.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1986. "Determinants of international trade flows : The Case of Developing Countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 107-123.
- Goldstein, Morris & Khan, Mohsin S., 1985. "Income and price effects in foreign trade," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 20, pages 1041-1105 Elsevier.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Richard L Sprinkle, 2004. "Latin American Progress under Structural Reform," Development and Comp Systems 0408012, EconWPA.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Jeffrey J. Schott, 1992. "North American Free Trade: Issues and Recommendations," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 71.
- Warner, Dennis & Kreinin, Mordechai E, 1983. "Determinants of International Trade Flows," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 96-104, February.
- Thomas M. Fullerton, 1993. "Un modelo macroeconométrico para pronosticar la economía colombiana," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Faini, Riccardo & Pritchett, Lant & Clavijo, Fernando, 1988. "Import demand in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 122, The World Bank.
- Corbo, Vittorio, 1985. "International Prices, Wages and Inflation in an Open Economy: A Chilean Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 564-73, November.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1989. "Hysteresis, Import Penetration, and Exchange Rate Pass-Through," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 205-28, May.
- Khan, Mohsin S, 1975. "The Structure and Behavior of Imports of Venezuela," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(2), pages 221-24, May.
- Thursby, Jerry G & Thursby, Marie C, 1984. "How Reliable Are Simple, Single Equation Specifications of Import Demand?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(1), pages 120-28, February.
- Wilson, John F & Takacs, Wendy E, 1979. "Differential Responses to Price and Exchange Rate Influences in the Foreign Trade of Selected Industrial Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 267-79, May.
- Melo, Oscar & Vogt, Michael G., 1984. "Determinants of the demand for imports of Venezuela," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 351-358, April.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Roberto Tinajero, 2004. "Cross Border Cargo Vehicle Flows," International Trade 0405006, EconWPA.
- MÃ¡rcio ValÃ©rio Ronci, 2004. "Trade Finance and Trade Flows: Panel Data Evidence from 10 Crises," IMF Working Papers 04/225, International Monetary Fund.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Richard L Sprinkle, 2005. "An Error Correction Analysis of U.S.-Mexico Trade Flows," International Trade 0506003, EconWPA.
- Mohsen Bahmani & Hanafiah Harvey & Scott W. Hegerty, 2013. "Empirical tests of the Marshall-Lerner condition: a literature review," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 40(3), pages 411-443, May.
- Mutz,Christine & Ziesemer,Thomas, 2005. "Prebisch-Singer: Debates, Growth Model and Estimates," Research Memoranda 007, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & David A Schauer, 2004. "Short-Run Maquiladora Employment Dynamics," Urban/Regional 0407007, EconWPA.
- Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Richard L Sprinkle & Roberto Tinajero, 2004. "El Paso Customs District Cross-Border Trade Flows," International Trade 0406001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.