Data Envelopment Analysis in Environmental Valuation: Environmental Performance, Eco-efficiency and Cost-Benefit Analysis
AbstractData Envelopment Analysis (DEA) is a linear programming based method for evaluating performance of comparable production units such as firms. Although the method is already extensively applied in many areas of economics, its use in environmental economics and related fields remains limited. The purpose of this paper is to present basic principles of DEA and evaluate its application possibilities for a range of environmental valuation problems. We show how DEA has to be adjusted to the context of environmental performance, eco-efficiency and Cost-Benefit analysis (CBA). By modifying the traditional DEA framework to the specific features and purposes of environmental application we show that the valuation principles to which DEA is based on can offer useful insights and complement the conventional toolbox of environmental economists in valuation of the environmental services in general.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0409004.
Date of creation: 10 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Data Envelopment Analysis; performance measurement; production theory; environmental valuation; environmental performance; eco- efficiency; Cost-Benefit analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-EFF-2004-10-21 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hailu, Atakelty & Hailu, Atakelty, 2003. "Pollution abatement and productivity performance of regional Canadian pulp and paper industries," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 5-25.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-80, May.
- Isabelle Piot-Lepetit & Dominique Vermersch & Robert Weaver, 1997. "Agriculture's environmental externalities: DEA evidence for French agriculture," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 331-338.
- Runar Brännlund & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 1995. "Environmental regulation and profitability: An application to Swedish pulp and paper mills," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(1), pages 23-36, July.
- Solovyeva, Irina & Nuppenau, Ernst-August, 2012. "Improving Measures for Targeting Agri-Environmental Payments: The Case of High Nature Value Farming," 126th Seminar, June 27-29, 2012, Capri, Italy 125648, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2007.
"Eco-efficiency analysis of consumer durables using absolute shadow prices,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 57-69, October.
- Mika Kortelainen & Timo Kuosmanen, 2005. "Eco-Efficiency Analysis of Consumer Durables Using Absolute Shadow Prices," Public Economics 0511022, EconWPA.
- Tomasz Gerard Czekaj, 2013. "Measuring the Technical Efficiency of Farms Producing Environmental Output: Parametric and Semiparametric Estimation of Multi-output Stochastic Ray Production Frontiers," IFRO Working Paper 2013/21, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Anthony Halog & Yosef Manik, 2011. "Advancing Integrated Systems Modelling Framework for Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(2), pages 469-499, February.
- Solovyeva, Irina & Nuppenau, Ernst-August, 4. "Improving Measures for Targeting Agri-Environmental Payments: The Case of High Nature Value Farming," Politica Agricola Internazionale - International Agricultural Policy, Edizioni L’Informatore Agrario, issue 4.
- Camelia Burja, 2012. "Determinants Of The Agricultural Productivity Growth Among Romanian Regions," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(14), pages 18.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Kortelainen, Mika, 2007.
"Valuing environmental factors in cost-benefit analysis using data envelopment analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 56-65, April.
- Timo Kuosmanen, 2006. "Valuing Environmental Factors in Cost-Benefit Analysis Using Data Envelopment Analysis," Working Papers 2006.96, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.