Efficiency and Environmental Regulation
AbstractThis paper proposes an extension of the enhancedefficiency indices of Färe, Grosskopf, Lovell andPasurka (1989) that considers undesirable outputsasymmetrically by assuming that firms can freelydispose of some undesirable productions, but areduction of other bad outputs generates a cost interms of desirable outputs. This methodologicalapproach is used to analyse the relative efficiency ofa sample of Spanish producers of wooden goods andfurnishings whose production process generates fourdifferent wastes. We obtain efficiency indices thatserve to measure the impact on firm performance inseveral scenarios related to environmental regulationsaimed to reduce the production of wastes. Whenenvironmental regulations are assumed, it is foundthat firms would have to sacrifice important amountsof potential desirable output in order to reallocateinputs into waste reduction. Secondly, we find thatfirms associated with a Technological Institute aswell as firms located at a marshallian type industrialdistrict are likely to be less affected byregulations. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
bad outputs; efficiency measurement; environment; environmental regulations; industrial districts; wood and furnishings industry;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Runar Brännlund & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 1995. "Environmental regulation and profitability: An application to Swedish pulp and paper mills," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 6(1), pages 23-36, July.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Tyteca, Daniel, 1996. "An activity analysis model of the environmental performance of firms--application to fossil-fuel-fired electric utilities," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 161-175, August.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1993. "Derivation of Shadow Prices for Undesirable Outputs: A Distance Function Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 374-80, May.
- Valentina Bosetti & Gianni Locatelli, 2005.
"A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach to the Assessment of Natural Parks’ Economic Efficiency and Sustainability. The Case of Italian National Parks,"
2005.63, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Valentina Bosetti & Gianni Locatelli, 2006. "A data envelopment analysis approach to the assessment of natural parks' economic efficiency and sustainability. The case of Italian national parks," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 277-286.
- Bosetti, Valentina & Buchner, Barbara, 2009. "Data Envelopment Analysis of different climate policy scenarios," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1340-1354, March.
- Guo, Xiao-Dan & Zhu, Lei & Fan, Ying & Xie, Bai-Chen, 2011. "Evaluation of potential reductions in carbon emissions in Chinese provinces based on environmental DEA," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2352-2360, May.
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Knox, C.A. & Zofío, José Luis, 2007.
"Environmental Efficiency Measurement with Translog Distance Functions: A Parametric Approach,"
Working Papers in Economic Theory
2007/02, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- Cuesta, Rafael A. & Lovell, C.A. Knox & Zofío, José L., 2009. "Environmental efficiency measurement with translog distance functions: A parametric approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2232-2242, June.
- Greta Falavigna & Roberto Ippoliti & Alessandro Manello, 2012. "Performance of the health care industry: the Italian case study," CERIS Working Paper 201216, Institute for Economic Research on Firms and Growth - Moncalieri (TO).
- Mariam Camarero & Juana Castillo Giménez & Andrés J. Picazo-Tadeo & Cecilio Tamarit, 2013. "Is the eco-efficiency in greenhouse gas emissions converging among European Union countries?," Working Papers 1309, Department of Applied Economics II, Universidad de Valencia.
- Charles, Vincent & Kumar, Mukesh & Irene Kavitha, S., 2012. "Measuring the efficiency of assembled printed circuit boards with undesirable outputs using data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 194-206.
- Tanaka, Kenta & Managi, Shunsuke & Kondo, Katsunobu & Masuda, Kiyotaka & Yamamoto, Yasutaka, 2012.
"Potential climate effects on Japanese rice productivity,"
35823, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kenta Tanaka & Shunsuke Managi & Katsunobu Kondo & Kiyotaka Masuda & Yasutaka Yamamoto, 2011. "Potential Climate Effect On Japanese Rice Productivity," Climate Change Economics (CCE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 2(03), pages 237-255.
- Picazo-Tadeo, Andres J. & Reig-Martinez, Ernest & Hernandez-Sancho, Francesc, 2005. "Directional distance functions and environmental regulation," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 131-142, June.
- Tsolas, Ioannis E., 2011. "Performance assessment of mining operations using nonparametric production analysis: A bootstrapping approach in DEA," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 159-167, June.
- Zhou, P. & Ang, B.W. & Poh, K.L., 2006. "Slacks-based efficiency measures for modeling environmental performance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 111-118, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.