Measuring the Technical Efficiency of Farms Producing Environmental Output: Parametric and Semiparametric Estimation of Multi-output Stochastic Ray Production Frontiers
AbstractThis paper investigates the technical efficiency of Polish dairy farms producing environmental output using the stochastic ray function to model multi-output – multi-input technology. Two general models are considered. One which neglects the provision of environmental output and one which accounts for such output. Three different proxies of environmental output are discussed: the ratio of permanent grassland (including rough grazing) to total agricultural area, the total area of permanent grassland and the amount of environmental subsidies which farmers are paid for providing environmental goods and services. These proxies are discussed on the basis of microeconomic production theory and are empirically compared by the econometric approach using parametric and semiparametric stochastic frontier models. The main focus is on the estimation of technical efficiency of farms producing the environmental output. Since some farms do not provide such output at all, the stochastic ray frontier functions are estimated to overcome the problem of the zero valued dependent variables which often occur when the Translog output distance function is used. The detailed results of the technical efficiency analysis show that, although the estimated efficiencies from the models which neglect the environmental output and those which account for the output are rather similar on average, the rankings based on these efficiencies differ. Finally, based on the theoretical economic reasoning and empirical application, we find that, for the given dataset, the semiparametric stochastic frontier model which uses a quantity of permanent grassland area as a proxy of environmental output, is the most suitable for application.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics in its series IFRO Working Paper with number 2013/21.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
environmental output; stochastic frontier analysis; stochastic ray function; Translog; Polish dairy farms;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-11-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2013-11-16 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENV-2013-11-16 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-ORE-2013-11-16 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tristen Hayfield & Jeffrey S. Racine, . "Nonparametric Econometrics: The np Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(i05).
- Sun, Kai & Kumbhakar, Subal C., 2013. "Semiparametric smooth-coefficient stochastic frontier model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 305-309.
- Jack Peerlings, 2004. "Wildlife and landscape services production in Dutch dairy farming; jointness and transaction costs," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(4), pages 427-449, December.
- Arne Henningsen & Christian Henning, 2009. "Imposing regional monotonicity on translog stochastic production frontiers with a simple three-step procedure," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 217-229, December.
- Géraldine Henningsen & Arne Henningsen & Uwe Jensen, 2013. "A Monte Carlo Study on Multiple Output Stochastic Frontiers: Comparison of Two Approaches," IFRO Working Paper, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics 2013/7, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Hsiao, Cheng & Li, Qi & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2007.
"A consistent model specification test with mixed discrete and continuous data,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 802-826, October.
- Cheng Hsiao & Qi Li & Jeff Racine, 2006. "A Consistent Model Specification Test with Mixed Discrete and Continuous Data," IEPR Working Papers, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR) 06.47, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Mette Asmild & Jens Leth Hougaard, 2006. "Economic versus environmental improvement potentials of Danish pig farms," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(2), pages 171-181, 09.
- Jeffery Racine & Jeffrey Hart & Qi Li, 2006. "Testing the Significance of Categorical Predictor Variables in Nonparametric Regression Models," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 523-544.
- Antonio Alvarez & Christine Amsler & Luis Orea & Peter Schmidt, 2006.
"Interpreting and Testing the Scaling Property in Models where Inefficiency Depends on Firm Characteristics,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer,
Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 201-212, 06.
- Peter Schmidt & Antonio Alvarez & Christine Amsler, 2004. "Interpreting and testing the scaling property in models where inefficiency depends on firm characteristics," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings, Econometric Society 520, Econometric Society.
- Chambers, Robert & Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Vardanyan, Michael, 2013.
"Generalized quadratic revenue functions,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 11-21.
- Tomasz Czekaj & Arne Henningsen, 2013. "Panel Data Specifications in Nonparametric Kernel Regression: An Application to Production Functions," IFRO Working Paper, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics 2013/5, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Mika Kortelainen, 2004. "Data Envelopment Analysis in Environmental Valuation: Environmental Performance, Eco-efficiency and Cost-Benefit Analysis," Others, EconWPA 0409004, EconWPA.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8355.
- George E. Battese, 1997. "A Note On The Estimation Of Cobb-Douglas Production Functions When Some Explanatory Variables Have Zero Values," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 250-252.
- Tomasz Gerard Czekaj & Arne Henningsen, 2013. "Panel Data Nonparametric Estimation of Production Risk and Risk Preferences: An Application to Polish Dairy Farms," IFRO Working Paper, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics 2013/6, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Areal, Francisco J. & Tiffin, Richard & Balcombe, Kelvin G., 2012. "Provision of environmental output within a multi-output distance function approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 47-54.
- Rolf Färe & Carlos Martins-Filho & Michael Vardanyan, 2010. "On functional form representation of multi-output production technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 81-96, April.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Racine, Jeff, 1997. "Consistent Significance Testing for Nonparametric Regression," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(3), pages 369-78, July.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi & Weersink, Alfons, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Stochastic Production Frontier Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 460-68, October.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Hernandez-Sancho, F., 2004. "Environmental performance: an index number approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 343-352, December.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geir Tveit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.