Money And Output Interraction In Nigeria
AbstractTHIS PAPER DERIVES AND ESTIMATES A BARRO-TYPE REDUCED-FORM EQUATION FOR DOMESTIC REAL OUTPUT FROM A SIMPLE STRUCTURAL MODEL OF AN OPEN DEVELOPING ECONOMY IN WHICH MARKETS CLEAR CONTINUOUSLY AND EXPECTATIONS ARE RATIONAL. THE FORM IN WHICH OPEN ECONOMY VARIABLES APPEARED WAS EXPLICITLY DERIVED FROM AN UNDERLYING STRUCTURAL MODEL. THE MODEL WAS ADAPTED TO NIGERIAN ECONOMY BY ACCORDING AN IMPORTANT ROLE TO IMPORTED INTERMEDIATE GOODS. THE EMPIRICAL RESULT PROVIDED SUPPORT FOR THE OPEN ECONOMY MODEL OF OUTPUT DETERMINATION IN NIGERIA.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0405012.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 12 May 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 31
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
MONEY OUTPUT COINTEGRATION ERROR CORRECTION RATIONAL EXPECTATIONS; NIGERIAN ECONOMY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2004-05-26 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2004-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2004-05-16 (Development)
- NEP-MON-2004-05-16 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1978. "On the Time Consistency of Optimal Policy in a Monetary Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1411-28, November.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model," NBER Working Papers 0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- Gerrard, Bill, 1991. "Keynes's General Theory: Interpreting the Interpretations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(405), pages 276-87, March.
- Hafer, R W & Kutan, A M, 1997. "More Evidence on the Money-Output Relationship," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 35(1), pages 48-58, January.
- Gordon, Robert J, 1990. "What Is New-Keynesian Economics?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(3), pages 1115-71, September.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Franco Modigliani, 1977.
"The monetarist controversy; or, should we forsake stabilization policies?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr suppl, pages 27-46.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1977. "The Monetarist Controversy or, Should We Forsake Stabilization Policies?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 1-19, March.
- Peter J. Montiel, 1987. "Output and Unanticipated Money in the Dependent Economy Model," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 228-259, June.
- Adrian Pagan, 1985.
"Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
741, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1986. "Two Stage and Related Estimators and Their Applications," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 517-38, August.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1989.
"Consumption, Income and Interest Rates: Reinterpreting the Time Series Evidence,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 185-246
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1990. "Consumption, Income, and Interest Rates: Reinterpreting the Time Series Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2924, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Kormendi, Roger C & Meguire, Philip G, 1984. "Cross-Regime Evidence of Macroeconomic Rationality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(5), pages 875-908, October.
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1976. "Wage indexation: A macroeconomic approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 221-235, April.
- Sheehey, Edmund J., 1984. "Money and output in Latin America : Some tests of a rational expectations approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 203-218.
- Brown, Bryan W & Maital, Shlomo, 1981. "What Do Economists Know? An Empirical Study of Experts' Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 491-504, March.
- Robert J. Barro & Zvi Hercowitz, 1979.
"Money Stock Revisions and Unanticipated Money Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
0329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Hercowitz, Zvi, 1980. "Money stock revisions and unanticipated money growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 257-267, April.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1990. "The New Classical Macroeconomics and Stabilization Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 143-47, May.
- Edwards, Sebastian, 1983. "The Short-Run Relation between Growth and Inflation in Latin America: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 477-82, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Evans, George W & Ramey, Garey, 1992. "Expectation Calculation and Macroeconomic Dynamics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 207-24, March.
- Mario I. Blejer & Roque B. Fernandez, 1980. "The Effects of Unanticipated Money Growth on Prices and on Output and Its Composition in a Fixed-Exchange-Rate Open Economy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(1), pages 82-95, February.
- Barro, Robert J & King, Robert G, 1984.
"Time-separable Preferences and Intertemporal-Substitution Models of Business Cycles,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 99(4), pages 817-39, November.
- Robert J. Barro & Robert G. King, 1985. "Time-Separable Preference and Intertemporal-Substitution Models of Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 0888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:harver:1435 is not listed on IDEAS
- Swanson, Norman R., 1998. "Money and output viewed through a rolling window," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 455-474, May.
- Dr. Godwin Chukwudum Nwaobi, 2004. "Modelling Economic Fluctuations In Subsaharan Africa:A Vector Autoregressive Approach," Macroeconomics 0406008, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.