The Value of Adaptability
AbstractThis paper examines a firm's ability to respond correctly to an unexpected change in the environment (i.e., its adaptability). We develop a model that allows for empirical examination of the impact of a firm's adaptability on its expected profits. The theory shows that a firm's adaptability can be estimated by the squared correlation between an unexpected change and the firm's reaction. The estimates show that adaptability has a large positive impact on the average profit rate and the market value of a firm. We also find that an increase in risk is correlated with a rise in adaptability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0406004.
Date of creation: 06 Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D89 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Other
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-07 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holmes, Thomas J & Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1990.
"A Theory of Entrepreneurship and Its Application to the Study of Business Transfers,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 265-94, April.
- Mills, David E & Schumann, Laurence, 1985. "Industry Structure with Fluctuating Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 758-67, September.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1990. "The Economics of Modern Manufacturing: Technology, Strategy, and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 511-28, June.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 1999. "Gross job flows," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2711-2805 Elsevier.
- Katsuya Takii, 2000.
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1411, Econometric Society.
- David Thesmar & Mathias Thoenig, 2000. "Creative Destruction And Firm Organization Choice," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1201-1237, November.
- Paul Osterman, 2000. "Work reorganization in an era of restructuring: Trends in diffusion and effects on employee welfare," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(2), pages 179-196, January.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1975. "The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 827-46, September.
- Paul Osterman, 1994. "How common is workplace transformation and who adopts it?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(2), pages 173-188, January.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 1978. "On the Size Distribution of Business Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 508-523, Autumn.
- Katsuya Takii, 2004. "Entrepreneurial Efficiency: An Empirical Framework and Evidence," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 0411006, EconWPA.
- Takii, Katsuya, 2008.
"Fiscal policy and entrepreneurship,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 65(3-4), pages 592-608, March.
- Katsuya Takii, 2004. "Fiscal Policy and Entrepreneurship," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 0406006, EconWPA.
- Katsuya Takii, 2004. "Fiscal Policy and Entrepreneurship," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings, Econometric Society 698, Econometric Society.
- Katsuya Takii, 2004. "Fiscal Policy and Entrepreneurship," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 320, Econometric Society.
- Katsuya Takii, 2009.
"Entrepreneurial competition and its impact on the aggregate economy,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 97(1), pages 1-18, May.
- Katsuya Takii, 2008. "Entrepreneurial Competition and Its Impact on the Aggregate Economy," OSIPP Discussion Paper 08E010, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.