Structuring Deposit Insurance in Europe: Some Considerations and a Regulatory Game
AbstractThe protection of savings and the creation of insurance schemes is becoming a hot topic for the European Union Regulator: incoming Directives seem to state a sort of "financial guarantee scheme model" valid not only for deposit insurance but also for investor compensation schemes in case of failure of investment firms. The author describes the ongoing process, focusing on the recently approved deposit-guarantee scheme Directive which will compel the Member States to redraw their internal regulation; then, using a very simple game, the author studies the effects on the equilibria of different kinds of institutional regulations. The normative results, especially from this last analysis, are not easy to state: however, using also some results of DiNoia (1994a and 1994b), the author ends up with some suggestions on the way of regulating the single DIAs in the EU Member States.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania in its series Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers with number 94-31.
Date of creation: Dec 1994
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Allan H. Meltzer, 1967. "Major Issues in the Regulation of Financial Institutions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 482.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990. "Banking Competition and European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 373, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- V.V. Chari, 1989. "Banking without deposit insurance or bank panics: lessons from a model of the U.S. national banking system," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 3-19.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "An analytic derivation of the cost of deposit insurance and loan guarantees An application of modern option pricing theory," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-11, June.
- John H. Kareken, 1983. "Deposit insurance reform or deregulation is the cart, not the horse," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Spr.
- Portes,, 1987. "Threats to International Financial Stability," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521347891, December.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Lawrence J. White, 1989.
"The reform of Federal Deposit Insurance,"
258, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Postlewaite, Andrew & Vives, Xavier, 1987. "Bank Runs as an Equilibrium Phenomenon," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 485-91, June.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000.
"Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995. "Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mailath George J. & Mester Loretta J., 1994.
"A Positive Analysis of Bank Closure,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 272-299, June.
- Goodman, Laurie S. & Santomero, Anthony M., 1986. "Variable-rate deposit insurance: A re-examination," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 203-218, June.
- English, William B., 1993. "The decline of private deposit insurance in the United States," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 57-128, June.
- Merton, Robert C. & Bodie, Zvi, 1993. "Deposit insurance reform: a functional approach," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-34, June.
- Martin J. Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 1994.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262650401, January.
- Selgin, G.A. & White, L.H., 1993.
"How Would the Invisible Hand Handle Money?,"
380e, Georgia - College of Business Administration, Department of Economics.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1983.
"Non-Monetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in the Propagation of the Great Depression,"
NBER Working Papers
1054, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben S, 1983. "Nonmonetary Effects of the Financial Crisis in Propagation of the Great Depression," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 257-76, June.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1980. "Banking in the theory of finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 39-57, January.
- Kareken, John H & Wallace, Neil, 1978. "Deposit Insurance and Bank Regulation: A Partial-Equilibrium Exposition," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 413-38, July.
- Jacklin, Charles J & Bhattacharya, Sudipto, 1988. "Distinguishing Panics and Information-Based Bank Runs: Welfare and Policy Implications," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 568-92, June.
- Bryant, John, 1980. "A model of reserves, bank runs, and deposit insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-344, December.
- Santomero, Anthony M, 1984. "Modeling the Banking Firm: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 576-602, November.
- Di Noia, Carmine & Di Giorgio, Giorgio, 1999.
"Should Banking Supervision and Monetary Policy Tasks Be Given to Different Agencies?,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 361-78, November.
- Carmine Di Noia & Giorgio Di Giorgio, 1999. "Should Banking Supervision and Monetary Policy Tasks Be Given to Different Agencies," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-11, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Carmine Di Noia & Giorgio Di Giorgio, 1999. "Should banking supervision and monetary policy tasks be given to different agencies?," Economics Working Papers 411, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.