Why Labour Market Response Differed in the Great Recession: The Impact of Institutions and Policy
AbstractThis paper investigates the performance of labour markets during the recent crisis for 28 industrialised countries, specifically the reaction of employment and unemployment indicators relative to output changes. We construct a composite indicator for output as well as labour market performance. The determinants of cross-country differences we chose are regulation, flexicurity elements and contracts. We find a robust positive impact of labour market regulation, while the impacts of flexicurity strategies and contracts are difficult to pin down econometrically. Finally we venture a tentative look at the ongoing recovery.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by WIFO in its series WIFO Working Papers with number 396.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
financial crisis; great recession; labour market performance; labour market regulation; short-time work agreements; flexicurity; Okun's law;
Other versions of this item:
- Karl Aiginger & Thomas Horvath & Helmut Mahringer, 2012. "Why Labor Market Response Differed in the Great Recession: The Impact of Institutions and Policy," DANUBE: Law and Economics Review, European Association Comenius - EACO, issue 3, pages 1-19, September.
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2011-07-02 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2011-07-02 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2010.
"The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2010. "The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis," CEPR Discussion Papers 7954, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Philip R. Lane, 2010. "The Cross-Country Incidence of the Global Crisis," IMF Working Papers 10/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," Papers 23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Antonio Spilimbergo & Steven A. Symansky & Carlo Cottarelli & Olivier J. Blanchard, 2009.
"Fiscal Policy for the Crisis,"
IMF Staff Position Notes
2008/01, International Monetary Fund.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karl Aiginger, 2009. "Strengthening the resilience of an economy," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 44(5), pages 309-316, September.
- Karl Aiginger, 2011. "Why Performance Differed Across Countries in the Recent Crisis. How Country Performance in the Recent Crisis Depended on Pre-crisis Conditions," WIFO Working Papers 387, WIFO.
- Aiginger, Karl, 2010. "The Great Recession versus the Great Depression: stylized facts on siblings that were given different foster parents," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-9, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Karl Aiginger, 2010. "Post Crisis Policy: Some Reflections of a Keynesian Economist," WIFO Working Papers 371, WIFO.
- Stijn Claessens & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2010. "Cross-country experiences and policy implications from the global financial crisis," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 25, pages 267-293, 04.
- Gaston Gelos & Robert Rennhack & James P Walsh & Pelin Berkmen, 2009.
"The Global Financial Crisis: Explaining Cross-Country Differences in the Output Impact,"
IMF Working Papers
09/280, International Monetary Fund.
- Berkmen, S. Pelin & Gelos, Gaston & Rennhack, Robert & Walsh, James P., 2012. "The global financial crisis: Explaining cross-country differences in the output impact," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 42-59.
- Jean-Claude Barbier & Fabrice Colomb & Per Kongshøj Madsen, 2009. "Flexicurity - an open method of coordination, at the national level ?," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 09046, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Martin, John P. & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2011.
"Setting It Right: Employment Protection, Labour Reallocation and Productivity,"
IZA Policy Papers
27, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Martin & Stefano Scarpetta, 2012. "Setting It Right: Employment Protection, Labour Reallocation and Productivity," De Economist, Springer, vol. 160(2), pages 89-116, June.
- AIGINGER Karl, 2011. "Why Performance Differed Across Countries In The Recent Crisis," Revista Economica, Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Faculty of Economic Sciences, vol. 55(2), pages 20-27.
- Franz Traxler, 2003. "Bargaining (De)centralization, Macroeconomic Performance and Control over the Employment Relationship," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 41(1), pages 1-27, 03.
- Howell David R. & Baker Dean & Glyn Andrew & Schmitt John, 2007. "Are Protective Labor Market Institutions at the Root of Unemployment? A Critical Review of the Evidence," Capitalism and Society, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-73, May.
- Christine Erhel & Charlotte Levionnois, 2013. "Labour Market Policies in Times of Crisis: A Comparison of the 1992-1993 and 2008-2010 Recessions," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00880933, HAL.
- Christine Erhel & Charlotte Levionnois, 2013. "Labour Market Policies in Times of Crisis: A Comparison of the 1992-1993 and 2008-2010 Recessions," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 13060, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.