A general equilibrium based social policy model for Cote d'Ivoire
AbstractThis paper describes a general equilibrium based social policy model for Cote d'Ivoire whose aim is both to facilitate analysis of a wide range of social policy options, any of which could conceivablybe pursued in Cote d'Ivoire over the next five or ten years, and to provide a basis for further model development to cover explicit monetary, macro, and stabilization issues which are central to current Ivorian policy debate. As it now stands, the model is a classical real side general equilibrium model in the public finance tradition, modified to capture such key Ivorian features as domestic price stabilization schemes, large interhousehold transfers, the informal sector, and other features. The model allows for detailed analysis within a general equilibrium framework. This also captures relative price effects, financing implications, resource allocation, and other economy-wide effects missing in existing work on targeting policies. The paper describes the model in great detail by giving examples of its application, first by analyzing the tax incidence in Cote d'Ivoire, and second by evaluating the anti-poverty programs. The authors draw conclusions from the model and plot a path for the future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 925.
Date of creation: 30 Jun 1992
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Health Economics&Finance; Environmental Economics&Policies; Economic Theory&Research; Public Sector Economics&Finance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 1972.
"A general equilibrium calculation of the effects of differential taxation of income from capital in the U.S,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 281-321, November.
- John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1972. "A General Equilibrium Calculation of the Effects of Differential Taxation of Income from Capital in the U.S," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 328, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Davies, James B & St-Hilaire, France & Whalley, John, 1984. "Some Calculations of Lifetime Tax Incidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 633-49, September.
- A. Lans Bovenberg, 1987.
"Indirect Taxation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Approach,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(2), pages 333-373, June.
- Bovenberg, A.L., 1987. "Indirect taxation in developing countries: A general equilibrium approach," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152947, Tilburg University.
- Ary Lars Bovenberg, 1986. "Indirect Taxation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Approach," IMF Working Papers 86/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Shah, Anwar & Whalley, John, 1991. "Tax Incidence Analysis of Developing Countries: An Alternative View," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(3), pages 535-52, September.
- Glewwe, Paul & Kanaan, Oussama, 1989. "Targeting assistance to the poor using household survey data," Policy Research Working Paper Series 225, The World Bank.
- John Whalley, 1984. "Regression or Progression: The Taxing Question of Incidence Analysis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 654-82, November.
- Pyatt, Graham & Round, Jeffrey I, 1977. "Social Accounting Matrices for Development Planning," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 339-64, December.
- Kemal Dervis & Sherman Robinson, 1982. "A general equilibrium analysis of the causes of a foreign exchange crisis : The case of Turkey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 118(2), pages 259-280, June.
- Adelman, Irma & Robinson, Sherman, 1988. "Macroeconomic adjustment and income distribution : Alternative models applied to two economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 23-44, July.
- Pyatt, Graham, 1987. "The Sam Approach in Retrospect and Prospect," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 290, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Decaluwe, B. & Martens, A., 1988.
"Cge Modeling And Developing Economies: A Concise Empirical Survey Of 73 Applications To 26 Countries,"
8816, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Decaluwe, Bernard & Martens, Andre, 1988. "CGE modeling and developing economies: A concise empirical survey of 73 applications to 26 countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 529-568.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chao, Kalvin, 1989. "Targeted policies for poverty alleviation under imperfect information: Algorithms and applications," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 213-224.
- Browning, Edgar K, 1978. "The Burden of Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 649-71, August.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550, December.
- Bourguignon, Francois & de Melo, Jaime & Suwa, Akiko, 1991. "Distributional Effects of Adjustment Policies: Simulations for Archetype Economies in Africa and Latin America," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(2), pages 339-66, May.
- François Bourguignon & William H. Branson & Jaime de Melo, 1989. "Macroeconomic Adjustment and Income Distribution: A Macro-Micro Simulation Model," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 1, OECD Publishing.
- Glewwe, P., 1990. "Efficient Allocation Of Transfers To The Poor: The Problem Of Unobserved Household Income," Papers 70, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Chaudry-Shah, Anwar, 1988. " Capitalization and the Theory of Local Public Finance: An Interpretive Essay," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 209-43.
- Muhammad Hussain Malik & Najam Us Saqib, 1989. "Tax Incidence by Income Classes in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 13-26.
- Besley, Timothy J & Kanbur, S M Ravi, 1988. "Food Subsidies and Poverty Alleviation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 701-19, September.
- Ballard, Charles L. & Fullerton, Don & Shoven, John B. & Whalley, John, 2009.
"A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation,"
National Bureau of Economic Research Books,
University of Chicago Press,
edition 0, number 9780226036335, July.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1985. "A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ball85-1.
- St-Hilaire, France & Whalley, John, 1983. "A Microconsistent Equilibrium Data Set for Canada for Use in Tax Policy Analysis," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 29(2), pages 175-204, June.
- Robinson, Sherman, 1989. "Multisectoral models," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 885-947 Elsevier.
- Savard, Luc & Adjovi, Épiphane, 1998. "Externalités de la santé et de l’éducation et bien-être : un modèle d’équilibre général calculable appliqué au Bénin," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 74(3), pages 523-560, septembre.
- Mbabazi, Jennifer, 2002. "A CGE Analysis of the Short-run Welfare Effects of Tariff Liberalisation in Uganda," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Nguyen Chan & Tran Kim Dung, 2006. "The Impact of Trade Liberalization on Household Welfare in Vietnam," Working Papers MPIA 2006-02, PEP-MPIA.
- McIntire, John & Varangis, Panos, 1999. "Reforming Cote d'Ivoire's cocoa marketing and pricing system," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2081, The World Bank.
- Kamil Yilmaz, 2006. "How much should primary commodity exports be taxed? Nash and Stackelberg equilibria in the Global Cocoa Market," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 1-26.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.