Gender inequality in multidimensional welfare deprivation in west Africa : the case of Burkina Faso and Togo
AbstractThe importance of gender equality is reflected not only in the Millennium Development Goals, but also in the World Bank's Gender Action Plan launched in 2007 as well as in other treaties and actions undertaken at regional and international levels. Unlike other work on gender and poverty, which is mostly based on monetary measurement, the present study makes use of a counting approach to examine gender issues in Burkina Faso and Togo using household surveys. Focusing on six dimensions (housing, basic utilities, assets, education, employment, and access to credit) largely recognized as Millennium Development Goal targets, the main findings of the study indicate that overall individuals are the most deprived in education in Burkina Faso, while the reverse situation is true in Togo. Gender inequality is observed in all dimensions since women always seem to be more deprived than men. The situation is also marked by regional disparities. Moreover, the assessment of dimensional contributions shows different patterns for each country. While employment proves to be the main contributor of gender inequality in Burkina Faso, three dimensions (assets, access to credit, and employment) account together for most of the total contribution to gender inequality in Togo. There is also a positive correlation between multidimensional deprivation and women's age in Burkina Faso, whereas both measures seem to be uncorrelated in Togo.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 6522.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2013
Date of revision:
Gender and Development; Rural Poverty Reduction; Gender and Law; Regional Economic Development; Population Policies;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-07-05 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2013-07-05 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-DEV-2013-07-05 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ngo, Thi Minh-Phuong & Wahhaj, Zaki, 2012.
"Microfinance and gender empowerment,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 1-12.
- Zaki Wahhaj & Thi Minh-Phuong Ngo, 2010. "Microfinance and Gender Empowerment," Economics Series Working Papers CSAE WPS/2010-34, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Thi Minh-Phuong Ngo & Zaki Wahhaj, 2010. "Microfinance and Gender Empowerment," CSAE Working Paper Series 2010-34, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Ngo, Thi Minh-Phuong & Wahhaj, Zaki, 2008. "Microfinance and Gender Empowerment," MPRA Paper 11293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sebastian Levine & James Muwonge & Yele Maweki Batana, 2011.
"A Robust Multi-Dimensional Poverty Profile for Uganda,"
Working Papers PMMA
- Sebastian Levine, James Muwonge and Yele Maweki Batana, 2012. "A Robust Multidimensional Poverty Profile for Uganda," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp055, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Ezzrar, Abdeljaouad & Verme , Paolo, 2012. "A multiple correspondence analysis approach to the measurement of multidimensional poverty in Morocco, 2001-2007," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6087, The World Bank.
- E. Maasoumi & G. Yalonetzky, 2013. "Introduction to Robustness in Multidimensional Wellbeing Analysis," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 1-6, January.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2010.
"Mashup indices of development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5432, The World Bank.
- Andrea Brandolini & Silvia Magri & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2010.
"Asset-based measurement of poverty,"
Journal of Policy Analysis and Management,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(2), pages 267-284.
- Marek Hudon, 2007.
"Should Access to Credit be a Right ?,"
Working Papers CEB
07-008.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Diana Fletschner, 2008. "Women's Access to Credit: Does It Matter for Household Efficiency?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 90(3), pages 669-683.
- Cattaneo, Matias D. & Galiano, Sebastian & Gertler, Paul J. & Martinez, Sebastian & Titiunik, Rocio, 2007.
"Housing, health, and happiness,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4214, The World Bank.
- Krishnakumar, Jaya & Ballon, Paola, 2008. "Estimating Basic Capabilities: A Structural Equation Model Applied to Bolivia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 992-1010, June.
- Diagne, Aliou & Zeller, Manfred, 2001. "Access to credit and its impact on welfare in Malawi:," Research reports 116, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Alkire, Sabina & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Peterman, Amber & Quisumbing, Agnes & Seymour, Greg & Vaz, Ana, 2013.
"The Women’s Empowerment in Agriculture Index,"
Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 71-91.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2011.
"On multidimensional indices of poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5580, The World Bank.
- Carolina Navarro & Luis Ayala, 2008. "Multidimensional housing deprivation indices with application to Spain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(5), pages 597-611.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo, 2013.
"Credit access and life satisfaction: evaluating the nonmonetary effects of micro finance,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1201-1217, March.
- Becchetti, Leonardo & Conzo, Pierluigi, 2010. "Credit access and life satisfaction: evaluating the non monetary effects of micro finance," AICCON Working Papers 73-2010, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Josefa S Francisco, 2007. "Gender Inequality, Poverty and Human Development in South East Asia," Development, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(2), pages 103-114, June.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2006.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 943-968, October.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 1999. "Le différentiel spatial de pauvreté au Burkina Faso : " capabilities " versus dépenses," Documents de travail 36, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- World Bank, 2006. "Gender Equality as Smart Economics: A World Bank Group Gender Action Plan (Fiscal Years 2007-10)," Working Papers id:685, eSocialSciences.
- Maria Ana Lugo, 2007.
"Employment: A proposal for internationally comparable indicators,"
OPHI Working Papers
ophiwp003, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Maria Ana Lugo, 2007. "Employment: A Proposal for Internationally Comparable Indicators," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 361-378.
- Booysen, Frikkie & van der Berg, Servaas & Burger, Ronelle & Maltitz, Michael von & Rand, Gideon du, 2008. "Using an Asset Index to Assess Trends in Poverty in Seven Sub-Saharan African Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1113-1130, June.
- François Bourguignon & Satya Chakravarty, 2003.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 25-49, April.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Haddad, Lawrence & Pena, Christine, 2001. "Are women overrepresented among the poor? An analysis of poverty in 10 developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 225-269, October.
- Bastos, Amélia & Casaca, Sara F. & Nunes, Francisco & Pereirinha, José, 2009. "Women and poverty: A gender-sensitive approach," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 764-778, October.
- Robert M. Buckley & Jerry Kalarickal, 2006. "Thirty Years of World Bank Shelter Lending : What Have We Learned?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7061.
- Francisco Ferreira, 2011. "Poverty is multidimensional. But what are we going to do about it?," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 493-495, September.
- David Lam & Suzanne Duryea, 1999. "Effects of Schooling on Fertility, Labor Supply, and Investments in Children, with Evidence from Brazil," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 34(1), pages 160-192.
- David E. Sahn & David Stifel, 2003. "Exploring Alternative Measures of Welfare in the Absence of Expenditure Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 463-489, December.
- Alkire, Sabina & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth Suseela & Peterman, Amber & Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Seymour, Greg & Vaz, Ana, 2012. "The Womenâ€™s Empowerment in Agriculture Index:," IFPRI discussion papers 1240, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Carolina Navarro & Luis Ayala & José Labeaga, 2010. "Housing deprivation and health status: evidence from Spain," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 555-582, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.