Asset-based measurement of poverty
AbstractPoverty is generally defined as income or expenditure insufficiency, but the economic condition of a household also depends on its real and financial asset holdings. This paper investigates measures of poverty that rely on indicators of household net worth. We review and assess two main approaches followed in the literature: income-net worth measures and asset-poverty. We provide fresh cross-national evidence based on data from the Luxembourg Wealth Study. © 2010 by the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
Volume (Year): 29 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/34787/home
Other versions of this item:
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Janet C. Gornick & Eva Sierminska & Timothy M. Smeeding, 2009. "The Income and Wealth Packages of Older Women in Cross-National Perspective," Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Gerontological Society of America, vol. 64(3), pages 402-414.
- Morduch, J., 1995.
"Poverty and Vulnerability,"
477, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Thomas M. Fraker & Alberto P. Martini & James C. Ohls & Michael Ponza, 1995. "The effects of cashing-out food stomps on household food use and the cost of issuing benefits," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 372-392.
- Rendall, Michael S & Speare, Alden, Jr, 1993. "Comparing Economic Well-Being among Elderly Americans," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 39(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Fisher, Johathan & Johnson, David & Marchand, Joseph & Smeeding, Timothy & Boyle Torrey, B., 2009.
"Identifying the Poorest Older Americans,"
2009-3, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Chiuri, Maria Concetta & Jappelli, Tullio, 2008.
"Do the elderly reduce housing equity? An international comparison,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2008/20, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Maria Chiuri & Tullio Jappelli, 2010. "Do the elderly reduce housing equity? An international comparison," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 643-663, March.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Tullio Jappelli, 2006. "Do the elderly reduce housing equity? An international comparison," CSEF Working Papers 158, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Kennickell, Arthur & Lusardi, Annamaria, 2005. "Disentangling the importance of the precautionary saving motive," CFS Working Paper Series 2006/15, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christopher D. Carroll & Karen E. Dynan & Spencer D. Krane, 1999.
"Unemployment risk and precautionary wealth: evidence from households' balance sheets,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1999-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christopher D. Carroll & Karen E. Dynan & Spencer D. Krane, 2003. "Unemployment Risk and Precautionary Wealth: Evidence from Households' Balance Sheets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 586-604, August.
- Christopher D Carroll & Karen E Dynan & Spencer D Krane, 1999. "Unemployment Risk and Precautionary Wealth: Evidence from Households' Balance Sheets," Economics Working Paper Archive 416, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Timothy Smeeding, 2006. "Poor People in Rich Nations: The United States in Comparative Perspective," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 69-90, Winter.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Robert Haveman & Edward Wolff, 2005.
"The concept and measurement of asset poverty: Levels, trends and composition for the U.S., 1983–2001,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 145-169, January.
- Robert Haveman & Edward Wolff, 2004. "The concept and measurement of asset poverty: Levels, trends and composition for the U.S., 1983–2001," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 145-169, August.
- Jonathan D. Fisher & David S. Johnson & Joseph T. Marchand & Timothy M. Smeeding & Barbara Boyle Torrey, 2007.
"No Place Like Home: Older Adults and Their Housing,"
Journals of Gerontology: Series B,
Gerontological Society of America, vol. 62(2), pages S120-S128.
- Timothy Smeeding & Barbara Boyle Torrey & Jonathon Fisher & David S. Johnson & Joseph Marchand, 2006. "No Place Like Home: Older Adults and Their Housing," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2006-16, Center for Retirement Research.
- Rebecca M. Blank, 2008. "Presidential address: How to improve poverty measurement in the United States," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(2), pages 233-254.
- James N. Morgan, 1993. "Equity considerations and means-tested benefits," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(4), pages 773-778.
- Michael Carter & Christopher Barrett, 2006. "The economics of poverty traps and persistent poverty: An asset-based approach," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 178-199.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- James X. Sullivan & Lesley Turner & Sheldon Danziger, 2008. "The relationship between income and material hardship," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(1), pages 63-81.
- Cristina Barceló & Ernesto Villanueva, 2010. "The response of household wealth to the risk of losing the job: evidence from differences in firing costs," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1002, Banco de Espa�a.
- Galor, Oded & Zeira, Joseph, 1993.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 35-52, January.
- Giovanni D'Alessio & Stefano Iezzi, 2013. "Household over-indebtedness: definition and measurement with Italian data," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 149, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Celidoni, Martina, 2011. "Vulnerability to poverty: An empirical comparison of alternative measures," MPRA Paper 33002, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Laura Bartiloro & Cristiana Rampazzi, 2013. "Italian households’ saving and wealth during the crisis," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 148, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Luis Carvalho & Aurora A.C. Teixeira, 2011. "Where are the poor in International Economics?," FEP Working Papers 425, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Durr-e-Nayab, 2011.
"Estimating the Middle Class in Pakistan,"
2011:77, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Notten, Geranda, 2013.
"Measuring performance: does the assessment depend on the poverty proxy?,"
UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series
031, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Geranda Notten, 2013. "Measuring performance: does the assessment depend on the poverty proxy?," ImPRovE Working Papers 13/13, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy, University of Antwerp.
- Tsehay, Abrham Seyoum & Bauer, Siegfried, 2012. "Poverty Dynamics and Vulnerability: Empirical Evidence from Smallholders in Northern Highlands of Ethiopia," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126873, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Petracco, Carly & Randriamamonjy, Josee, 2011. "The wealth and gender distribution of rural services in Ethiopia: A public expenditure benefit incidence analysis," IFPRI discussion papers 1057, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Timothy M. Smeeding, 2009. "New comparative measures of income, material deprivation, and well-being," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4), pages 745-752.
- Agbodji, Akoete Ega & Batana, Yele Maweki & Ouedraogo, Denis, 2013. "Gender inequality in multidimensional welfare deprivation in west Africa : the case of Burkina Faso and Togo," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6522, The World Bank.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrea Brandolini, 2011. "On the identification of the “middle class”," Working Papers 217, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.