Empirical investment equations in developing countries
AbstractSince the debt crisis, there has been increasing interest in the determinants of investment in developing countries. There is plentiful literature on the topic for industrial economies but existing studies on developing countries are scattered and few. The author examined those studies with the aim of answering two questions: Are the variables that influence investment decisions the same in developing as in industrial countries, or should other factors be considered because the macroeconomic setting is different? And what can be learned from the applied research that has been done on the subject? This paper presents an integrative analytical framework, including different empirical equations, that depend on the assumptions made about the economies'key features. It classifies 25 empirical studies on investments in developing countries, classifying them according to their chosen specification and comparing their estimates. The author concludes that investment decisions in developing countries are not necessarily based on the same variables as in industrial countries. Analysts must consider such additional factors as financial repression, shortage of foreign exchange, lack of infrastructure, and significant economic instability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 563.
Date of creation: 31 Dec 1990
Date of revision:
International Terrorism&Counterterrorism; Financial Intermediation; Trade and Regional Integration; Economic Theory&Research; Environmental Economics&Policies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sneessens, Henri R., 1987. "Investment and the inflation-unemployment tradeoff in a macroeconomic rationing model with monopolistic competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 781-808, April.
- V. Sundararajan & Subhash Thakur, 1980. "Public Investment, Crowding out, and Growth: A Dynamic Model Applied to India and Korea (Investissement public, "effet de refoulement" et croissance: un modÃ¨le dynamique appliquÃ© Ã l'," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 814-855, December.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Mario I. Blejer & Mohsin S. Khan, 1984. "Government Policy and Private Investment in Developing Countries (Politique des pouvoirs publics et investissement privÃ© dans les pays en dÃ©veloppement) (PolÃtica estatal e inversiÃ³n priva," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 379-403, June.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1998. "Irreversible investment," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981.
"Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation,"
457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-24, January.
- Gardner, Roy & Sheldon, Russell, 1975. "Financial Conditions and the Time Path of Equipment Expenditures," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(2), pages 164-70, May.
- LICANDRO Omar, 1990. "Uncertainty and Tobin’s Q in a Monopolistic Competition Framework," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1990003, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Bilsborrow, Richard E, 1977. "The Determinants of Fixed Investment by Manufacturing Firms in a Developing Country," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(3), pages 697-717, October.
- Behrman, Jere R, 1972. "Sectoral Investment Determination in a Developing Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 825-41, December.
- Schramm, Richard, 1972. "Neoclassical Investment Models and French Private Manufacturing Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 553-63, September.
- Heller, Peter S, 1975. "A Model of Public Fiscal Behavior in Developing Countries: Aid, Investment, and Taxation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 429-45, June.
- Schiantarelli, F. & Georgoutsos, D., 1990. "Monopolistic competition and the Q theory of investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1061-1078, July.
- Fry, Maxwell J., 1980. "Saving, investment, growth and the cost of financial repression," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 317-327, April.
- van Wijnbergen, S., 1982. "Stagflationary effects of monetary stabilization policies : A quantitative analysis of South Korea," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 133-169, April.
- Lim, David, 1987. "Export Instability, Investment and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(49), pages 318-27, December.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1980. "Empirical investment equations : An integrative framework," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 39-91, January.
- Dailami, Mansoor & Walton, Michael, 1989. "Private investment, government policy, and foreign capital in Zimbabwe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 248, The World Bank.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jeffrey Sachs, 1982. "Anticipations, Recessions and Policy: An Intertemporal Disequilibrium Model," NBER Working Papers 0971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Herschel I, 1972. "A Choice-Theoretic Model of an Income-Investment Accelerator," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 630-41, September.
- George M. Von Furstenberg, 1977. "Corporate Investment: Does Market Valuation Matter in the Aggregate?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 8(2), pages 347-408.
- Malkiel, Burton G & von Furstenberg, George M & Watson, Harry S, 1979. "Expectations, Tobin's q, and Industry Investment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(2), pages 549-61, May.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1988.
"Unemployment: Getting the Questions Right--and Some of the Answers,"
502, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1988. "Unemployment: Getting the Questions Right - and some of the answers," NBER Working Papers 2698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1985. "A Model of Chinese National Income Determination," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 782-92, August.
- de Melo, Jaime & Tybout, James, 1986. "The Effects of Financial Liberalization on Savings and Investment in Uruguay," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(3), pages 561-87, April.
- Ahmed Badawi, 2003.
"Private capital formation and public investment in Sudan: testing the substitutability and complementarity hypotheses in a growth framework,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 783-799.
- A Badawi, 2003. "Private Capital Formation and Public Investment in Sudan: Testing the Substitutability and Complementarity Hypotheses in a Growth Framework," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0316, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- M. Shahe Emran & M. Imam Alam & Forhad Shilpi, 2003. "After the "License Raj": Economic Liberalization and Aggregate Private Investment in India," Development and Comp Systems 0305002, EconWPA, revised 25 Aug 2003.
- W.J. Jansen, 2000. "The Effects of Capital Inflows in Thailand, 1980-96," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 46, Netherlands Central Bank.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2003:i:28:p:1-16 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lederman, Daniel & Menendez, Ana Maria & Perry, Guillermo & Stiglitz, Joseph, 2003. "Mexican investment after the Tequila crisis: basic economics, "confidence" effects or market imperfections?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 131-151, February.
- Gunter, Bernhard G., 2001.
"Does the HIPC Initiative Achieve its Goal of Debt Sustainability?,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bernhard G. Gunter, 2010. "Does the HIPC Initiative Achieve its Goal of Debt Sustainability?," Working Papers id:3205, eSocialSciences.
- Demir, Firat, 2007. "Private Investment, Portfolio Choice and Financialization of Real Sectors in Emerging Markets," MPRA Paper 3835, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2007.
- Oner Guncavdi-super-˙ & Andrew McKay, 2003. "Macroeconomic adjustment and private manufacturing investment in Turkey: a time-series analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1901-1909.
- Ramón A. Castillo Ponce & Jorge Herrera Hernández, 2005. "Efecto del gasto público sobre el gasto privado en México," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 20(2), pages 173-196.
- Manuel R. AGOSIN & Ricardo MAYER, 2000.
"Foreign Investment In Developing Countries, Does It Crowd In Domestic Investment?,"
UNCTAD Discussion Papers
146, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Manuel Agosin & Roberto Machado, 2005. "Foreign Investment in Developing Countries: Does it Crowd in Domestic Investment?," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 149-162.
- Shaun K. Roache, 2006. "Domestic Investment and the Cost of Capital in the Caribbean," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(3).
- Muyambiri, Brian & Chiwira, Oscar & Enowbi Batuo, Michael & Chiranga, Ngonidzashe, 2010. "The Causal Relationship between Private and Public Investment in Zimbabwe," MPRA Paper 26671, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mariarosaria Agostino, 2004. "Conditionality, Commitment and Investment Response in LDCs," Economics Working Papers 2004-10, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Demir, Firat, 2006. "Volatility of short term capital flows, financial anarchy and private investment in emerging markets," MPRA Paper 3080, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2007.
- Easterly, William & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991. "The macroeconomics of public sector deficits : a synthesis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 775, The World Bank.
- Abdiweli Ali, 2001. "Political instability, policy uncertainty, and economic growth: An empirical investigation," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 29(1), pages 87-106, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.