Private Investment And Financial Sector Policies In Developing Countries
AbstractThis paper examines the role of financial sector policies in determining private investment in the economies of India and Malaysia. The results suggest that the presence of significant directed credit programs favoring certain priority sectors in the economies appear to be harmful for private capital formation in both countries. Interest rate controls seem to have a positive impact on investment in the private sector, and the effect is found to be stronger in India. While high reserve and liquidity requirements exert a negative influence on private investment in India, the effect is found to be positive in Malaysia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Monash University, Department of Economics in its series Monash Economics Working Papers with number 07/08.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2009-07-17 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-DEV-2009-07-17 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2009-07-17 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-SEA-2009-07-17 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pradhan, B. K. & Ratha, D. K. & Sarma, Atul, 1990. "Complementarity between public and private investment in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 101-116, July.
- Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus & Muller, Tobias, 1991. "Private investment under macroeconomic adjustment in Morocco," Policy Research Working Paper Series 787, The World Bank.
- Ang, James B. & McKibbin, Warwick J., 2007.
"Financial liberalization, financial sector development and growth: Evidence from Malaysia,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 215-233, September.
- James B. Ang & Warwick J. McKibbin, 2005. "Financial Liberalization, Financial Sector Development And Growth: Evidence From Malaysia," CAMA Working Papers 2005-05, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Giovannini, Alberto & de Melo, Martha, 1993. "Government Revenue from Financial Repression," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 953-63, September.
- James B. Ang, 2007.
"Are Financial Sector Policies Effective in Deeping the Malaysian Financial System,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c012_031, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- James B. Ang, 2008. "Are Financial Sector Policies Effective In Deepening The Malaysian Financial System?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 26(4), pages 623-635, October.
- James B. Ang, 2007. "Are Financial Sector Policies Effective In Deepening The Malaysian Financial System?," Monash Economics Working Papers 02-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- van Wijnbergen, S., 1982. "Stagflationary effects of monetary stabilization policies : A quantitative analysis of South Korea," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 133-169, April.
- Bencivenga, Valerie R & Smith, Bruce D, 1992.
"Deficits, Inflation, and the Banking System in Developing Countries: The Optimal Degree of Financial Repression,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 767-90, October.
- Bencivenga, V.R. & Smith, B.D., 1990. "Deficits, Inflation, And The Banking System In Developing Countries: The Optimal Degree Of Financial Repression," RCER Working Papers 214, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Inder, Brett, 1993. "Estimating long-run relationships in economics : A comparison of different approaches," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 53-68.
- Olaf Unteroberdoerster & Roberto Pereira GuimarÃ£es, 2006. "What's Driving Private Investment in Malaysia? Aggregate Trends and Firm-Level Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Courakis, Anthony S, 1984. "Constraints on Bank Choices and Financial Repression in Less Developed Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 46(4), pages 341-70, November.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-188, September.
- Odedokun, M. O., 1996. "International evidence on the effects of directed credit programmes on efficiency of resource allocation in developing countries: The case of development bank lendings," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 449-460, March.
- Schwarz, Anita M., 1992. "How effective are directed credit policies in the United States? A literature survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1019, The World Bank.
- Panicos O. Demetriades & Michael P. Devereux & Kul B. Luintel, 1995.
"Productivity and Financial Sector Policies: Evidence from South East Asia,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
95/14, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & P. Devereux, Michael & Luintel, Kul B., 1998. "Productivity and financial sector policies: Evidence from South East Asia," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 61-82, March.
- Shafik, Nemat & Shafik, Nemat, 1992. "Modeling private investment in Egypt," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 263-277, October.
- McKinnon, Ronald I & Pill, Huw, 1997. "Credible Economic Liberalizations and Overborrowing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 189-93, May.
- Callen, T S & Hall, S G & Henry, S G B, 1990. "Manufacturing Stocks: Expectations, Risk and Co-integration," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 756-72, September.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1985. "Error Correction, Partial Adjustment and All That: An Expository Note," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 47(2), pages 119-29, May.
- Binswanger, Hans & Khandker, Shahidur, 1992. "The impact of formal finance on the rural economy of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 949, The World Bank.
- Joshua Greene & Delano Villanueva, 1991. "Private Investment in Developing Countries: An Empirical Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Oriana Bandiera & Gerard Caprio & Patrick Honohan & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000.
"Does Financial Reform Raise or Reduce Saving?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 239-263, May.
- M. Shahe Emran & Forhad Shilpi & M. Imam Alam, 2007. "Economic liberalization and price response of aggregate private investment: time series evidence from India," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(3), pages 914-934, August.
- Guncavdi, Oner & Bleaney, Michael & McKay, Andrew, 1998. "Financial liberalisation and private investment: evidence from Turkey," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 443-455.
- Gennotte, Gerard & Pyle, David, 1991. "Capital controls and bank risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 805-824, September.
- Delano Villanueva & Abbas Mirakhor, 1990. "Strategies for Financial Reforms: Interest Rate Policies, Stabilization, and Bank Supervision in Developing Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.