Do reorganization costs matter for efficiency ? Evidence from a bankruptcy reform in Colombia
AbstractThe authors study the effect of reorganization costs on the efficiency of bankruptcy laws. They develop a simple model that predicts that in a regime with high costs, the law fails to achieve the efficient outcome of liquidating unviable businesses and reorganizing viable ones. The authors test the model using the Colombian bankruptcy reform of 1999. Using data from 1,924 firms filing for bankruptcy between 1996 and 2003, they find that the pre-reform reorganization proceeding was so inefficient that it failed to separate economically viable firms from inefficient ones. In contrast, by substantially lowering reorganization costs, the reform improved the selection of viable firms into reorganization. In this sense, the new law increased the efficiency of the bankruptcy system in Colombia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3970.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Corporate Law; Small Scale Enterprise; Microfinance; Economic Theory&Research;
Other versions of this item:
- Xavier Gin� & Inessa Love, 2010. "Do Reorganization Costs Matter for Efficiency? Evidence from a Bankruptcy Reform in Colombia," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(4), pages 833 - 864.
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2006-07-28 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2006-07-28 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2006-07-28 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENT-2006-07-28 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-FMK-2006-07-28 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alderson, Michael J. & Betker, Brian L., 1995. "Liquidation costs and capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 45-69, September.
- Per Strömberg, 2000.
"Conflicts of Interest and Market Illiquidity in Bankruptcy Auctions: Theory and Tests,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2641-2692, December.
- Per Stromberg, . "Conflicts of Interest and Market Illiquidity in Bankruptcy Auctions: Theory and Tests," CRSP working papers 459, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Oliver Hart, 2006.
"Different approaches to bankruptcy,"
CESifo DICE Report,
Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 4(1), pages 3-8, 04.
- Oliver Hart, 2000. "Different Approaches to Bankruptcy," NBER Working Papers 7921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver Hart, 2000. "Different Approaches to Bankruptcy," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1903, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Philippe Aghion & Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1992.
"The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0093, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Aghion, Philippe & Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(3), pages 523-46, October.
- Philippe Aghion & Oliver D. Hart & John Moore, 1994. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," NBER Chapters, in: The Transition in Eastern Europe, Volume 2: Restructuring, pages 215-244 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, P. & Hart, O. & Moore, J., 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," Working papers 92-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1992. "The Economics of Bankruptcy Reform," NBER Working Papers 4097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-66, September.
- White, Michelle J, 1994. "Corporate Bankruptcy as a Filtering Device: Chapter 11 Reorganizations and Out-of-Court Debt Restructurings," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(2), pages 268-95, October.
- Vojislav Maksimovic & Gordon Phillips, 1998. "Asset Efficiency and Reallocation Decisions of Bankrupt Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1495-1532, October.
- Thorburn, Karin S., 2000. "Bankruptcy auctions: costs, debt recovery, and firm survival," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 337-368, December.
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1981.
"Good News and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications,"
Bell Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 380-391, Autumn.
- Paul R. Milgrom, 1979. "Good Nevs and Bad News: Representation Theorems and Applications," Discussion Papers 407R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Weiss, Lawrence A., 1990. "Bankruptcy resolution: Direct costs and violation of priority of claims," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 285-314, October.
- Robert Gertner & David Scharfstein, 1991.
"A Theory of Workouts and the Effects of Reorganization Law,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertner, Robert & Scharfstein, David, 1991. " A Theory of Workouts and the Effects of Reorganization Law," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1189-1222, September.
- Franks, Julian R & Lóránth, Gyöngyi, 2005. "A Study of Inefficient Going Concerns in Bankruptcy," CEPR Discussion Papers 5035, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2000-72 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cadot, Olivier & Fernandes, Ana & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2011.
"Impact Evaluation of Trade Interventions: Paving the Way,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8638, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cadot, Olivier & Fernandes, Ana M. & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2011. "Impact evaluation of trade interventions : paving the way," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5877, The World Bank.
- International Finance Corporation & World Bank, 2009. "Doing Business 2010 : Reforming through Difficult Times - Comparing Regulation in 183 Economies," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2562, February.
- William Kerr & Ramana Nanda, 2006.
"Democratizing Entry: Banking Deregulations, Financing Constraints, and Entrepreneurship,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
07-033, Harvard Business School, revised Oct 2008.
- Kerr, William R. & Nanda, Ramana, 2009. "Democratizing entry: Banking deregulations, financing constraints, and entrepreneurship," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 124-149, October.
- William Kerr & Ramana Nanda, 2007. "Democratizing Entry: Banking Deregulations, Financing Constraints, and Entrepreneurship," Working Papers 07-33, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Beck, T.H.L. & Honohan, P., 2008. "Finance for all?: Policies and pitfalls in expanding access," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3508393, Tilburg University.
- McKenzie, David, 2009.
"Impact assessments in finance and private sector development : what have we learned and what should we learn ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4944, The World Bank.
- David McKenzie, 2010. "Impact Assessments in Finance and Private Sector Development: What Have We Learned and What Should We Learn?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 25(2), pages 209-233, August.
- Erkki Laitinen, 2011. "Assessing viability of Finnish reorganization and bankruptcy firms," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 167-198, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.