Resolution of Financial Distress : An International Perspective on the Design of Bankruptcy Laws
AbstractThe institutions of bankruptcy have been at the center of the great economic events of the last decade, ranging from the Asian economic crisis, to the transition from socialism to capitalism. Our understanding of the economic, and legal structure of these institutions, as well as of their impact on economic development, has advanced considerably during this period as well. This study provides valuable information on the advances for resolution of financial distress, through theoretical studies, historical data, and evidence from recent worldwide experiences. It illustrates the possibilities, and methods of beneficial legal reform of bankruptcy procedures, as well as the pitfalls of misguided political action. The study is a timely, and valuable resource for economists, lawyers, and all others interested in institutional reform in emerging financial markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 14029 and published in 2001-05.
Finance and Financial Sector Development - Financial Intermediation Finance and Financial Sector Development - Strategic Debt Management Banks and Banking Reform Economic Theory and Research Financial Crisis Management and Restructuring;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Larry Lang & Annette Poulsen & Rene M. Stulz, 1994.
"Asset Sales, Firm Performance, and the Agency Costs of Managerial Discretion,"
NBER Working Papers
4654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lang, Larry & Poulsen, Annette & Stulz, Rene, 1995. "Asset sales, firm performance, and the agency costs of managerial discretion," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-37, January.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1999. "Investor Protection: Origins, Consequences, Reform," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1883, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1999. "Investor Protection: Origins, Consequences, and Reform," NBER Working Papers 7428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Claudia Helene Dziobek, 1997. "Lessons from Systemic Bank Restructuring: A Survey of 24 Countries," IMF Working Papers 97/161, International Monetary Fund.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-66, September.
- Klingebiel, Daniela, 2000. "The use of asset management companies in the resolution of banking crises - cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2284, The World Bank.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Klingebiel, Daniela, 1996. "Bank insolvencies : cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1620, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.