The impact of banking crises on money demand and price stability
AbstractThe author empirically investigates the monetary impact of banking crises in Colombia, Chile, Denmark, Japan, Kenya, Malaysia, and Uruguay. She uses co-integration analysis and error correction modeling to research: 1) Whether money demand stability is threatened by banking crises. 2) Whether crises bring about structural breaks in the relationship between monetary indicators and prices. Overall, she finds no systematic evidence that banking crises cause money demand instability. Nor do the results consistently support the notion that the relationship between monetary indicators and prices undergoes structural breaks during crises. However, although individual coefficients in price equations do not seem to be severely affected by crises, crises can sometimes give rise to variance instability in price or inflation equations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 2305.
Date of creation: 31 Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Financial Intermediation; Payment Systems&Infrastructure; Environmental Economics&Policies; Fiscal&Monetary Policy; Financial Intermediation; Settlement of Investment Disputes; Economic Theory&Research; Fiscal&Monetary Policy; Environmental Economics&Policies;
Other versions of this item:
- Maria Soledad Martinez Peria, 2002. "The Impact of Banking Crises on Money Demand and Price Stability," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(3), pages 1.
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Mühleisen, 1995. "Monetary Policy and Inflation Indicators for Finland," IMF Working Papers 95/115, International Monetary Fund.
- Miller, Stephen M, 1991. "Monetary Dynamics: An Application of Cointegration and Error-Correction Modeling," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 139-54, May.
- Ericsson, Neil R., 1992.
"Cointegration, exogeneity, and policy analysis: An overview,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 251-280, June.
- Neil R. Ericsson, 1991. "Cointegration, exogeneity, and policy analysis: an overview," International Finance Discussion Papers 415, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Reinhart, Vincent, 1991.
"Output Fluctuations and Monetary Shocks: Evidence from Colombia,"
6980, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Vincent R. Reinhart, 1991. "Output Fluctuations and Monetary Shocks: Evidence from Colombia," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 705-735, December.
- Vincent Reinhart & Carmen Reinhart, 1991. "Output Fluctuations and Monetary Shocks: Evidence from Colombia," IMF Working Papers 91/35, International Monetary Fund.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- repec:imf:imfpdp:94/10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Karatzas, George, 1993. "Government Deficits, Monetization, International Reserve Flows, and Inflation in Selected African Countries," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 46(2-3), pages 201-224.
- David Fielding, 1994. "Money Demand in Four African Countries," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(2), pages 3-37, May.
- Gordon de Brouwer & Neil R. Ericsson, 1995.
"Modelling inflation in Australia,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
530, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Brunello Giorgio & Ariga Kenn & Nishiyama Yoshihiko & Ohkusa Yasushi, 1995. "Recent Changes in the Internal Structure of Wages and Employment in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 105-129, June.
- McNown, Robert & S. Wallace, Myles, 1989. "National price levels, purchasing power parity, and cointegration: a test of four high inflation economies," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 533-545, December.
- repec:imf:imfpdp:9410 is not listed on IDEAS
- E. P. Davis & S. G. B. Henry, 1994. "The Use of Financial Spreads as Indicator Variables: Evidence for the U.K. and Germany," IMF Working Papers 94/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 1989. "Interpreting the evidence on money-income causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 161-181, January.
- Fullerton, Thomas Jr., 1993. "Inflationary trends in Colombia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 463-468, August.
- Josef Baumgartner & Ramana Ramaswamy, 1996. "Inflation Targeting in the United Kingdom: Information Content of Financial and Monetary Variables," IMF Working Papers 96/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Brian R. Horrigan, 1986. "Monetary indicators, commodity prices, and inflation," Working Papers 86-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Robert Corker, 1990. "Wealth, Financial Liberalization, and the Demand for Money in Japan," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(2), pages 418-432, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Friedman, Benjamin M & Kuttner, Kenneth N, 1992. "Money, Income, Prices, and Interest Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 472-92, June.
- Luis Oscar Herrera & Rodrigo Vergara, 1992. "Estabilidad de la Demanda de Dinero, Cointegración y Política Monetaria," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 29(86), pages 35-54.
- Kamas, Linda, 1995. "Monetary policy and inflation under the crawling peg: Some evidence from VARs for Colombia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 145-161, February.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, July.
- Alicia García-Herrero, 1997. "Monetary Impact of a Banking Crisis and the Conduct of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 97/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Darrat, Ali F., 1985. "The demand for money in a developing economy: The case of Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(10-11), pages 1163-1170.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu, 2002. "Monitoring Banking Sector Fragility," Macroeconomics 0206004, EconWPA, revised 05 Apr 2004.
- Sánchez-Fung, José R., 2008. "The day-to-day interbank market, volatility, and central bank intervention in a developing economy," MPRA Paper 15648, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis Ignacio JÃ¡come, 2008. "Central Bank Involvement in Banking Crises in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 08/135, International Monetary Fund.
- Kibritcioglu, Aykut, 2002. "Excessive Risk-Taking, Banking Sector Fragility, and Banking Crises," Working Papers 02-0114, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Honohan, Patrick, 2001. "Recapitalizing banking systems : implications for incentives and fiscal and monetary policy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2540, The World Bank.
- Alicia García Herrero & Pedro del Río López, 2003. "Implications of the design of monetary policy for financial stability," Macroeconomics 0304008, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.