Monitoring Banking Sector Fragility
AbstractIn the financial crisis literature, it is usually argued that, contrary to the case of currency crises, building a time series index to identify banking crisis episodes is highly difficult, particularly because of the lack of reliable data on banking sector variables (non-performing loans, etc.). Accordingly, existing methods applied to pinpoint banking crisis years are generally event-based, such as that used by Caprio and Klingebiel (1996 and 1999) and Lindgren et al. (1996). This paper, however, proposes a weighted banking sector fragility index to measure changes in banks' vulnerability to crisis. Using monthly sectoral data for selected 22 countries, it is argued that this type of a fragility index seems to be highly useful in measurement and monitoring of changes in banking sector fragility. That is, it significantly may contribute to policy makers' efforts towards early detection of approaching banking sector difficulties. [To download the country-specific BSF indices: http://politics.ankara.edu.tr/~kibritci/banking/]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0206004.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 24 Jun 2002
Date of revision: 05 Apr 2004
Note: Type of Document - Acrobar Reader (pdf) file; prepared on PC; to print on Any printer / Letter sized paper; pages: 16 ; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Banking sector fragility; banking crises; Argentina; Bolivia; Brazil; Chile; Indonesia; Israel; Japan; Jordan; Kenya; Malaysia; Malta; Mexico; Pakistan; Peru; Philippines; Poland; South Korea; Sweden; Thailand; Trinidad and Tobago; Turkey; and Venezuela;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2002-07-31 (Finance)
- NEP-IFN-2002-07-31 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1994.
"The capital inflows problem: Concepts and issues,"
13902, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barry Eichengreen & Michael D. Bordo, 2002. "Crises Now and Then: What Lessons from the Last Era of Financial Globalization," NBER Working Papers 8716, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen and Carlos Arteta., 2000.
"Banking Crises in Emerging Markets: Presumptions and Evidence,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C00-115, University of California at Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen & Carlos Arteta, 2001. "Banking Crises in Emerging Markets: Presumptions and Evidence," Macroeconomics 0012012, EconWPA.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Arteta, Carlos, 2000. "Banking Crises in Emerging Markets: Presumptions and Evidence," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt3pk9t1h2, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Michael Hutchison & Ilan Noy, 2002. "How bad are twins? output costs of currency and banking crises," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 02-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Rodrigo Valdes & Oscar Landerretche, 2001.
"Lending Booms: Latin America and the World,"
NBER Working Papers
8249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Disyatat, Piti, 2004.
"Currency crises and the real economy: The role of banks,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 75-90, February.
- Piti Disyatat, 2002. "Currency Crises and the Real Economy: The Role of Banks," Working Papers 2002-08, Economic Research Department, Bank of Thailand.
- Piti Disyatat, 2001. "Currency Crises and the Real Economy: The Role of Banks," IMF Working Papers 01/49, International Monetary Fund.
- Angel J. Ubide & TomÃ¡s J. T. BaliÃ±o, 1999. "The Korean Financial Crisis of 1997 - A Strategy of Financial Sector Reform," IMF Working Papers 99/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Morris Goldstein & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000. "Assessing Financial Vulnerability: An Early Warning System for Emerging Markets," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 100, 1st quart.
- Leslie Teo & Charles Enoch & Carl-Johan Lindgren & Tomás J. T. Baliño & Anne Marie Gulde & Marc Quintyn, 2000. "Financial Sector Crisis and Restructuring:Lessons from Asia," IMF Occasional Papers 188, International Monetary Fund.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maria Soledad Martinez Peria, 2002.
"The Impact of Banking Crises on Money Demand and Price Stability,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(3), pages 1.
- Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2000. "The impact of banking crises on money demand and price stability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2305, The World Bank.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The mirage of fixed exchange rates,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Englund, Peter, 1999. "The Swedish Banking Crisis: Roots and Consequences," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 80-97, Autumn.
- Burkhard Drees & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1995. "The Nordic Banking Crises: Pitfalls in Financial Liberalization?," IMF Working Papers 95/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Adolfo Barajas & Roberto Steiner, 2002. "Credit Stagnation in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 02/53, International Monetary Fund.
- Daniel C. Hardy & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1999. "Determinants and Leading Indicators of Banking Crises: Further Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 1.
- Desiree Cherebin & DeLisle Worrell & Tracy Polius, 2001. "Financial System Soundness in the Caribbean: An Initial Assessment," IMF Working Papers 01/123, International Monetary Fund.
- Kenneth Kang & Hong Liang & Henry Ma & Anthony J. Richards & Ajai Chopra & Meral Karasulu, 2001. "From Crisis to Recovery in Korea: Strategy, Achievements, and Lessons," IMF Working Papers 01/154, International Monetary Fund.
- Hali J. Edison, 2003.
"Do indicators of financial crises work? An evaluation of an early warning system,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 11-53.
- Hali J. Edison, 2000. "Do indicators of financial crises work? an evaluation of an early warning system," International Finance Discussion Papers 675, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mari Pangestu & Manggi Habir, 2002. "The Boom, Bust and Restructuring of Indonesian Banks," IMF Working Papers 02/66, International Monetary Fund.
- Edward J. Kane & Tara Rice, 2000. "Bank Runs and Banking Policies: Lessons for African Policymakers," NBER Working Papers 8003, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward J. Frydl, 1999. "The Length and Cost of Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 99/30, International Monetary Fund.
- John H. Boyd & Pedro Gomis & Sungkyu Kwak & Bruce D. Smith, 2000. "A User's Guide to Banking Crises," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-36, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Ari, Ali & Dagtekin, Rustem, 2007. "Early Warning Signals of the 2000/2001 Turkish Financial Crisis," MPRA Paper 25857, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ari, Ali, 2012. "Early warning systems for currency crises: The Turkish case," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 391-410.
- Mete Feridun, 2009. "Determinants of Exchange Market Pressure in Turkey: An Econometric Investigation," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(2), pages 65-81, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.