Gender differences in bank loan access
AbstractTraditionally female entrepreneurs report difficulties or higher costs in accessing bank credit. These difficulties can be either the result of supply side discrimination, or the lower profitability of female-owned firms than male-owned ones. This paper aims at analyzing gender differences in bank loan access by means of a large dataset on firms’ lines of credit provided by four Italian banks over the period 2005-2008. Estimates show that, after controlling for loan, firm and bank characteristics, female-owned firms: (a) experience a higher probability of having to pledge guarantees than male-owned firms; (b) have a lower probability of access to credit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini in its series Working Papers with number 1212.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision: 2012
Gender discrimination; Bank loan; Guarantees.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-11-17 (Banking)
- NEP-DEM-2012-11-17 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2012-11-17 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009.
"Competition and Relationship Lending: Friends or Foes?,"
Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers
13, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Presbitero, Andrea F. & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2011. "Competition and relationship lending: Friends or foes?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 387-413, July.
- Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2010. "Competition and Relationship Lending: Friends or Foes?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3103, CESifo Group Munich.
- Carletti, Elena & Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2004.
"Multiple-Bank Lending: Diversification and Free-Riding in Monitoring,"
Working Paper Series
165, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Carletti, Elena & Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2007. "Multiple-bank lending: Diversification and free-riding in monitoring," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 425-451, July.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2004. "Multiple-bank lending: Diversification and free-riding in monitoring," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/18, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Elena Carletti & Vittoria Cerasi & Sonja Daltung, 2004. "Multiple-bank lending: diversification and free-riding in monitoring," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24702, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Elena Carletti & Vittoria Cerasi & Sonja Daltung, 2006. "Multiple-bank lending: diversification and free-riding in monitoring," Working Papers 20061103, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica, revised Nov 2006.
- Sonja Daltung & Vittoria Cerasi & Elena Carletti, 2004. "Multiple-bank lending: diversification and free-riding in monitoring," FMG Discussion Papers dp490, Financial Markets Group.
- Carletti, Elena & Cerasi, Vittoria & Daltung, Sonja, 2004. "Multiple-bank lending: diversification and free-riding in monitoring," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 04-15, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Muravyev, Alexander & Talavera, Oleksandr & Schäfer, Dorothea, 2009.
"Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: Evidence from international data,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 270-286, June.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schäfer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2007. "Entrepreneurs' Gender and Financial Constraints: Evidence from International Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 706, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schaefer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2008. "Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: evidence from international data," Discussion Papers 11, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Yamori, Nobuyoshi, 2012.
"Loan officers and relationship lending to SMEs,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 97-122.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2009. "Loan Officers and Relationship Lending to SMEs," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 16, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2008. "Loan officers and relationship lending to SMEs," Working Paper Series 2008-17, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Banks, Distances and Firms' Financing Constraints," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 261-307.
- Roy Thurik & Ingrid Verheul, 2000. "Start-up capital: Differences between male and female entrepreneurs," Scales Research Reports H199910, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226041162.
- Arito Ono & Iichiro Uesugi, 2009. "Role of Collateral and Personal Guarantees in Relationship Lending: Evidence from Japan's SME Loan Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(5), pages 935-960, 08.
- Alberto F. Alesina & Francesca Lotti & Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2008.
"Do Women Pay More for Credit? Evidence from Italy,"
NBER Working Papers
14202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrea Bellucci & Ilario Favaretto & Germana Giombini, 2012. "Imprese innovative ed accesso al credito. Un’indagine empirica," ARGOMENTI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2012(36), pages 5-27.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmela Nicoletti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.