Role of Collateral and Personal Guarantees in Relationship Lending: Evidence from Japan's SME Loan Market
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of the use of collateral and personal guarantees in Japan's SME loan market. We find that firms' riskiness does not have a significant effect on the likelihood that collateral is used. We find, however, that main banks whose claims are collateralized monitor borrowers more intensively and that borrowers who have a long-term relationship with their main banks are more likely to pledge collateral. These findings are consistent with the theory that the use of collateral is effective in raising the bank's seniority and enhances its screening and monitoring. This incentive effect for the bank becomes tenuous for personal guarantees. Copyright (c) 2009 The Ohio State University.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Blackwell Publishing in its journal Journal of Money, Credit and Banking.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (08)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carmen Kislat & Lukas Menkhoff & Doris Neuberger, 2013. "The Use of Collateral in Formal and Informal Lending," Kiel Working Papers 1879, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Cerqueiro, G.M. & Ongena, S. & Roszbach, K., 2011.
"Collateralization, Bank Loan Rates and Monitoring: Evidence from a Natural Experiment,"
2011-087, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Steven Ongena & Kasper Roszbach & Geraldo Cerqueiro, 2012. "Collateralization, Bank Loan Rates and Monitoring: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," 2012 Meeting Papers 235, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Cerqueiro, Geraldo & Ongena, Steven & Roszbach, Kasper, 2012. "Collateralization, Bank Loan Rates and Monitoring: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," Working Paper Series 257, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- ONO Arito & SAKAI Koji & UESUGI Iichiro, 2008.
"The Effects of Collateral on SME Performance in Japan,"
08037, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Ono, Arito & Sakai, Koji & Uesugi, Iichiro, 2008. "The Effects of Collateral on SME Performance in Japan," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 401, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kunieda, Takuma & Shibata, Akihisa, 2011. "Collateral Constraints and Legal Protection of Lenders: A Macroeconomic Perspective," MPRA Paper 35356, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giorgio Calcagnini & Germana Giombini & Elisa Lenti, 2012. "Gender differences in bank loan access," Working Papers 1212, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2012.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Doris Neuberger & Ornsiri Rungruxsirivorn, 2011.
"Collateral and its Substitutes in Emerging Markets' Lending,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3585, CESifo Group Munich.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Neuberger, Doris & Rungruxsirivorn, Ornsiri, 2012. "Collateral and its substitutes in emerging markets’ lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 817-834.
- Busetta, Giovanni & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2012.
"Mutual loan-guarantee societies in monopolistic credit markets with adverse selection,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 15-24.
- Giovanni Busetta & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Mutual Loan-Guarantee Societies in Monopolistic Credit Markets with Adverse Selection," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 33, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Calcagnini, Giorgio & Farabullini, Fabio & Giombini, Germana, 2012.
"The impact of the recent financial crisis on bank loan interest rates and guarantees,"
36682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giorgio Calcagnini & Fabio Farabullini & Germana Giombini, 2012. "The impact of the recent financial crisis on bank loan interest rates and guarantees," Working Papers 1202, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2012.
- Colombatto, Enrico & Melnik, Arie & Monticone, Chiara, .
"Relationships and the availability of credit to New Small Firms,"
WP2011/11, University of Haifa, Department of Economics, revised 23 Oct 2011.
- Colombatto, Enrico & Melnik, Arie & Monticone, Chiara, 2011. "Relationships and The Availability of Credit To New Small Firms," IEL Working Papers 6, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Berger, A.N. & Frame, W.S. & Ioannidou, V., 2010.
"Tests of Ex Ante Versus Ex Post Theories of Collateral Using Private and Public Information,"
2010-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Berger, Allen N. & Scott Frame, W. & Ioannidou, Vasso, 2011. "Tests of ex ante versus ex post theories of collateral using private and public information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 85-97, April.
- Allen N. Berger & W. Scott Frame & Vasso Ioannidou, 2010. "Tests of ex ante versus ex post theories of collateral using private and public information," Working Paper 2010-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Elmas Yaldiz Hanedar & Eleonora Broccardo & Flavio Bazzana, 2012. "Collateral Requirements of SMEs:The Evidence from Less–Developed Countries," Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance) 12111, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Facoltà di Economia "Marco Biagi".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.