Discriminación salarial en Uruguay (1991-1997)
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is study the evolution, during the nineties, of the wage differential between men and women, and in particular the labor market discrimination. We try to analyze if in a frame of increasing openness to international trade, decreasing inflation, wage negotiation decentralization and increasing wage inequality, the labor market discrimination against women has experimented any change. We estimate the total wage differential and decompose it in three components: I) men advantage or overpayment due to the existence of discrimination (favoritism), ii) women disadvantage (pure discrimination) and iii) differences due to different human capital levels and labor insertion. It is observed that the wage gap between men and women diminished. Although the three factors go in the same way to improve women condition in the labor market, it is the differences due to different human capital levels and labor insertion the main factor that contributed to narrow the wage gap during the period of study (1991–1997).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 0700.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dora L. Costa, 2000.
"From Mill Town to Board Room: The Rise of Women's Paid Labor,"
NBER Working Papers
7608, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dora L. Costa, 2000. "From Mill Town to Board Room: The Rise of Women's Paid Labor," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 101-122, Fall.
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
- Richard Startz & Lundberg, .
"Private Discrimination and Social Intervention in Competitive Labor Markets,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
19-81, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Lundberg, Shelly J & Startz, Richard, 1983. "Private Discrimination and Social Intervention in Competitive Labor Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 340-47, June.
- Daniel Miles & Máximo Rossi, 1999. "Geographic concentration and structure of wages in developing countries: the case of Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1399, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark & Kenneth R. Troske, 2002.
"Market Forces and Sex Discrimination,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(2), pages 353-380.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark & Kenneth R. Troske, 1998. "Market Forces and Sex Discrimination," Labor and Demography 9807002, EconWPA.
- Judith K. Hellerstein & David Neumark & Kenneth R. Troske, 1997. "Market Forces and Sex Discrimination," NBER Working Papers 6321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neuman, Shoshana & Silber, Jacques, 1994. "The econometrics of labor market segregation and discrimination," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-4, March.
- Neuman, Shoshana & Oaxaca, Ronald L, 1998. "Estimating Labour Market Discrimination with Selectivity Corrected Wage Equations: Methodological Considerations and an Illustration from Israel," CEPR Discussion Papers 1915, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francois, Patrick, 1998. "Gender discrimination without gender difference: theory and policy responses," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 1-32, April.
- repec:fth:iniesr:502 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:fth:repuec:13/99 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ekström, Erika, 1998. "Income Distribution and Labour Market Discrimination: A Case Study of Namibia," Working Paper Series 502, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Yun, Myeong-Su, 1999. "Generalized Selection Bias and The Decomposition of Wage Differentials," IZA Discussion Papers 69, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mazzuchi, Graciela, 2009. "Labour relations in Uruguay : 2005-2008," ILO Working Papers 446901, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.