European Integration and the Regionalization of World Trade and Currencies: The Economics and the Politics
AbstractUsing the gravity model, we find evidence that the EC affects trade flows. A pair of EC members trade with each other 48 percent more than two otherwise similarly-placed countries. We also find that bilateral exchange rate variability fell by half within Europe during the 1980s, and that this stability worked to increase intra-continental trade by an estimated 5.9 percent. If account is taken of the endogeneity of the currency regime, the estimated effect of bilateral exchange rate variability on trade is much smaller. The political economy part of the paper catalogues ways in which regional arrangements undermine political support for multilateral liberalization, and ways in which they can have the opposite effect.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of California at Berkeley in its series Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers with number C95-053.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA USA
Web page: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/groups/iber/wps/ciderwp.htm
More information through EDIRC
Postal: IBER, F502 Haas Building, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley CA 94720-1922
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Jiao & Ji, Andy G., 2006. "Exchange rate sensitivity of China’s bilateral trade flows," BOFIT Discussion Papers 19/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Chinn, Menzie David & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2003.
"The Euro Area and World Interest Rates,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt2nb2h4zr, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Chinn, Menzie & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2003. "The Euro Area and World Interest Rates," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt9823140f, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Chinn, Menzie & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2003. "The Euro Area and World Interest Rates," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt9823140f, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Fukui, E. Tani & Hammer, Alexander B. & Jones, Lin Z., 2013. "Are U.S. exports influenced by stronger IPR protection measures in recipient markets?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 179-188.
- Edward M Feasel & Nobuyuki Kanazawa, 2013. "Sentiment toward Trading Partners and International Trade," Eastern Economic Journal, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 309-327.
- Frankel, J-A & Rose, A-K, 1996.
"Economic Structure and the Decision to Adopt a Common Currency,"
611, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and Andrew K. Rose., 1996. "Economic Structure and the Decision to Adopt a Common Currency," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C96-073, University of California at Berkeley.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1997. "Economic Structure and the Decision to Adopt a Common Currency," Seminar Papers 611, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1996. "Economic Structure and the Decision to Adopt a Common Currency," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt0bw0h379, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Guo, Rongxing, 2004. "How culture influences foreign trade: evidence from the U.S. and China," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 785-812, December.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 2004. "Real Convergence and Euro Adoption in Central and Eastern Europe: Trade and Business Cycle Correlations as Endogenous Criteria for Joining EMU," Working Paper Series rwp04-039, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Azim M. Sadikov, 2008. "External Tariff Liberalization in CARICOM: A Commodity-Level Analysis," IMF Working Papers 08/33, International Monetary Fund.
- Matthew Shearer & Kati Suominen & Antoni Estevadeordal, 2009. "Multilateralising RTAs in the Americas: State of Play and Ways Forward," IDB Publications 9300, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.