The impact of mega-sport events on tourist arrivals
AbstractWhile a mega-sport event is scheduled at least once every year somewhere in the world, these events are rare occurrences for the host cities and countries. The benefits of such events seem lucrative; the very fact that many countries bid to host these events suggests that the benefits – be they tangible or intangible – more often than not outweigh the costs. Using a standard gravity model of bilateral tourism flows between 200 countries from 1995 to 2006, this paper measures a very direct benefit of such mega-events: the increase in tourist arrivals to the host country. In general, results suggest that mega-events promote tourism but the gain varies depending on the type of mega-event, the participating countries, the host country’s level of development, and whether the event is held during the peak season or off season.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 20/2010.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Sport mega-events; tourism; World Cup; Olympic Games; trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
- F19 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIG-2010-10-23 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-SPO-2010-10-23 (Sports & Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2010-10-23 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Metaxas, Theodore & Bati, Aristea & Filippopoulos, Dimitris & Drakos, Kostas & Tzellou, Vagia, 2011. "Strategic place marketing and place branding: 15 years of mega-events in Lisbon," MPRA Paper 41004, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2011.
- Martí Selva, Mª Luisa & Puertas Medina, Rosa, 2012. "Impacto económico de la celebración de un evento deportivo: Campeonato del Mundo de MotoGP en Valencia/Economic Impact of a Sporting Event: MotoGP World Champonship in Valencia," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 683-702, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Melt van Schoor).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.