The Cost Channel Reconsidered: A Comment Using an Identification-Robust Approach
AbstractWe re-examine the empirical relevance of the cost channel of monetary policy (e.g. Ravenna and Walsh, 2006), employing recently developed moment-conditions inference methods, including identiÂ…cation-robust procedures. Using US data, our results suggest that the cost channel effect is poorly identiÂ…ed and we are thus unable to corroborate the previous results in the literature
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Surrey in its series School of Economics Discussion Papers with number 1010.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Cost channel; Phillips curve; GMM; Generalized Empirical Likelihood; Weak IdentiÂ…cation;
Other versions of this item:
- Vasco J. Gabriel & Luis F. Martins, 2010. "The Cost Channel Reconsidered: A Comment Using an Identification‐Robust Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(8), pages 1703-1712, December.
- Vasco J. Gabriel & Luis F. Martins, 2010. "The cost channel reconsidered: a comment using an identification-robust approach," NIPE Working Papers 30/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-01-30 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2011-01-30 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Meixing Dai & Qiao Zhang, 2013. "Central bank transparency with the cost channel," Working Papers of BETA 2013-06, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Jochen Michaelis, 2012. "Optimal Monetary Policy in a Currency Union: The Role of the Cost Channel," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201203, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alex Mandilaras).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.